5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Where can I tap into a good 12V ignition wire under the hood?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 07:45 PM
SteveSkal
2nd Gear Member

Default Where can I tap into a good 12V ignition wire under the hood?

I'm wiring up my electric fan and fan controller and I'd rather not wire the controller to a 12 Volt constant, just in case the temp sensor ever goes haywire and runs my fan all day while the car is parked LOL. So I'm looking for a 12 volt source that is turned on with the ignition, I have the fan controller on the passenger side of the car. I'm sure one of the MAF wires is a 12V ignition wire but which one? How about the connector going down to the smog box, both wires are black but maybe one is a power wire. Calling all you wiring guru's, where should I tap into?? Thanks
Old 11-25-2006, 08:02 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Where can I tap into a good 12V ignition wire under the hood?

you should use a relay to provide power.............

the relay will get power in from a constant source then have a switched source
that tells it to open

I just ran a small guage wire from fuse box inside ( tapped into radio fuse )
and thru the firewall out to the relay for it's switched signal, doesnt have to be big gauge wire since no load
going thru it.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:07 PM
SteveSkal
2nd Gear Member

but I'm running a DC Controller, FK35 unit, all that stuff is built in, I have a 12 volt source straight from my battery to the controller but there is also an igniton lead from the controller than if you put it to a 12 volt constant then it will run even when the car is off, as to cool for a bit after you drive, BUT I don't want that and to have it live only when the car is running I nead a 12 volt ignition source hooked to that wire.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:14 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

I just ran that wire thru the firewall and into the radio fuse slot in the fuse panel

sorry............ that only took about 5mins to do though. there is a grommet right there
on driverside firewall.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:16 PM
SteveSkal
2nd Gear Member

I was hoping to pick up a wire real close to the controller as to avoid running more wires all over the place. That would be a real long run since I mounted the controller at the passenger side front where the airbox is normally.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:24 PM
SteveSkal
2nd Gear Member

BUMP.

Anyone? Still looking for a good wire to use.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:47 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Any of the small smog solenoids and EGR solenoid (back of RH strut tower)...red wire has 12-vdc Ign On....
Old 11-26-2006, 10:20 PM
ddeaton66
3rd Gear Member

good eye
Old 05-24-2018, 12:01 PM
topdri68

I have a black magic electric fan
Amazon Amazon
that is "live" all of the time but would like to change to it running only when on. I installed this many years ago. I see where Joel5.0 said to run thru the smog solenoids or EGR solenoid. Can I use the VPWR red wire running to the MAF as it is right there at the fan adjuster? I am reading about the relay as well. Would I need it too? Let me know. Thanks!
Old 05-24-2018, 12:21 PM
TheBabyBadger
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by topdri68
I have a black magic electric fan https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FKBQFS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 that is "live" all of the time but would like to change to it running only when on. I installed this many years ago. I see where Joel5.0 said to run thru the smog solenoids or EGR solenoid. Can I use the VPWR red wire running to the MAF as it is right there at the fan adjuster? I am reading about the relay as well. Would I need it too? Let me know. Thanks!
I strongly suggest NOT using any wires going to the MAF. Ideally, use a slot which is currently NOT being used in the fuse box. They even make "wire tappers" that are fuse shaped to accomplish this. There are typically several unused slots that get key on power.

Keep in mine, these circuits are built and fused for their current load, NOT what you add. Any fan needs to be wired from a relay so it can draw from the battery and be sourced on from a low voltage source. Otherwise you're going to ignite, melt, or let the "factory smoke" out of something and have a WORLD of mysterious problems.

Quick Reply: Where can I tap into a good 12V ignition wire under the hood?