5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Idle surge after warm start up

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 11:54 PM
BlueDemon
3rd Gear Member

Default Idle surge after warm start up

O.k. I just did a search on idle surges and everyone I read had to do with surges when cold or after they were put into gear. Mine has to do with after I start my car after it's completely warmed up. When I start it after it's warmed up it idles very erratically for like 15 seconds and then it evens out. It hasn't everstalledout but it gets pretty close sometimes. Everything is brand new that has to do with the idle including a 65mm throttle body,IAC,TPS. I have theTPS voltage set at.99. I can deel with this slight problem but if any one knowshow I can remedythis problem I'd appreciate a little input Thanxs--by the way it's an 88-no maf
Old 08-20-2007, 02:01 PM
BlueDemon
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Idle surge after warm start up

Bump! Can anyone give me an idea on why my idle surges like it does?
Old 08-21-2007, 12:58 AM
BlueDemon
3rd Gear Member

So basically no one knows anything about this idle surge and what I can do to fix it? Oh well I guess I'll just deal with it. Thanks anyways[&o]
Old 08-21-2007, 06:28 AM
sd_stang_guy

i had the same problem in my 92 hatch but mine was fixed by cleaning out the iac......any vacum leaks that you might not be aware of....and 88 no MAF what mods on your running?.....i know sd foxs have problems when modded...i had this problem in my 87 verti i ended up doing a maf conversion wich helped out alot more then i expected
Old 08-21-2007, 07:42 AM
90_Mustang_GT
2nd Gear Member

I had the same problem. Try adjusting the screw on the throttle body. Just to make sure get some propane and run it round your vaccum lines.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:35 PM
BlueDemon
3rd Gear Member

Thanxs guys for the feedback- I appreciate it. I don't really have anything major done to my car other than maybe the new 65mm throttle body. But it was doing this with the original throttle body on it too. When I replaced the throttle body I replaced all the vac. lines with new ones. Other than that I have the normal upgrades that most people have such as MSD ignition and wires,NGK Iridium plugs,130amp alt.,Taurus fan,Ford Racing radiater,BBK headers,SLP Loudmouth mufflers,fully functional Ram Air and 373 gears. I'll try that propane trick when it's running--How high should I have the flame? [sm=joke.gif]I know you don't light it unless I want to go flying
Old 08-21-2007, 03:05 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Ask the ECM what problems it may be working with.....run a DIY KOEO/KOER self-tests combo, check the base idle reset link at the end of that page. The causes for a surging idle are many, need to make sure there are no failure codes that are causing the system to compensate for it......code 67 (neutral switches circuit), lean or rich condition (codes 41,91,42,92), an EGR valve that stays partially open, etc, etc.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:14 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

clean your T/B,iac ,etcand you egr
Old 08-22-2007, 12:07 AM
BlueDemon
3rd Gear Member

Thanxs for the help Joel 5.0 I'll try the code reader on Friday(my day off) Also thankyou,2kwik,for your advise too but like I said before all that stuff is not even a month old so I would think I wouldn't have to clean it,right?
Old 08-22-2007, 03:20 PM
Scout2232
4th Gear Member

Hey and for Sh1tz and giggles after you check codes or whatever, pull the negative battery cable off and leave it off for a while, then put it back on, see if that resets and helps anything. All I know is that my car would do that same crap and one day I was trying to fix a fuse that kept popping and pulled the cable off and put it back on like 5-10 mins later and it idles great now... *knock on wood*

Quick Reply: Idle surge after warm start up