Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kenne Bell 2.8 lc install review

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 07:28 PM
bstang14
2nd Gear Member

Default Kenne Bell 2.8 lc install review

Well. Just completed my kb 2.8 lc install on my 14 GT vert. First I want to put aside any negative issues you may have heard about kb support. No issues. Mike was awesome and I was always able to get a hold of him by phone. Not always immediately, but I'd try again after 15 minutes if line was busy and always end up talking to him. Hey. They are busy! Good thing right? To the"kit". Truly a kit. Totally complete and well thought out from the instructions to the packaging. Definitely a kit for someone that has good mechanical skills and a good selection of tools. If you have a sears 36 pc tool set, you should pass and have a pro install. No "special" tools except a small sawzall is very helpful. I have a "hackzall" and that proved very helpful for the two fender mods necessary to accommodate the monstrous intake tube. It's going to challenge you but for us who typically do our own mods, this is a relatively straightforward install. I think I put in about 25 total hours spread out over about a month and a half. Wife had me redoing bathrooms at the same time so off and on. No major hiccups in the install. Minor issues replacing motor mounts in that had to cut the original mount stud to remove but got through it fine. Actually replacing stock motor mounts was the biggest pain of the entire job. 3 hour job.

To the meat. What a freakin beast this car is now! OMG!! The kit claims 725 at crank and I have no doubt it's in that general area. Not going to dyno for numbers. Don't care. It is mean ***. Highly recommend Kenne Bell and the kit. Totally a complete kit. Runs perfect, and again their support when needed has been first class.
​​​​​
​​​​

​​​​​
​​​​

​​​

​​​​​

​​​​​​

​​​​
Old 04-27-2017, 09:33 AM
1 Alibi 2
3rd Gear Member

Expected pics ??
Really interested in the " the monstrous intake tube " !!
Who is doing your tuning ?
Old 04-27-2017, 07:47 PM
bstang14
2nd Gear Member

Old 04-27-2017, 07:50 PM
bstang14
2nd Gear Member

Kenne Bell supplied tune.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:30 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

You really should go get an actual dyno tune done. Not for more power, but because it's so much cheaper than another engine if your car decides it doesn't like something about the KB tune. Which does happen.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:19 PM
bstang14
2nd Gear Member

Hmmmm. Not seeing that. If that was the case shouldn't I have dunno tuned my stock motor in case it didn't like the ford tune that is identical across tens of thousands of 5.0 motors? I struggle to see any reason to dyno tune except to fine tune the tune. Trust me, I don't need 20 more hp.

Last edited by bstang14; 04-27-2017 at 09:22 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 02:38 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Best of luck to ya then, but I've heard and seen enough stories over the years involving those with power adders and canned tunes resulting in melted pistons and bent rods to know that a few hundred dollars invested in dyno tuning to make sure everything is "safe" is very cheap insurance. It really isn't always about squeezing more hp out of your build (especially when you have a 700+ rwhp street car) so much is it is about ensuring that fuel and spark etc are where they need to be at all points between idle and redline. I'm sure you know what happens if it's just a tad lean and/or a little too much timing during a WOT pull. Of course you are ultimately responsible regardless, but if you nuke a piston or something I wouldn't expect KB to whip out their checkbook.

I hope your experience is different, congrats on your install and enjoy that power dude.

Last edited by Z28KLR; 04-28-2017 at 02:44 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 02:43 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

awesome tube is huge
Old 04-29-2017, 06:54 AM
bstang14
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Z28KLR
Best of luck to ya then, but I've heard and seen enough stories over the years involving those with power adders and canned tunes resulting in melted pistons and bent rods to know that a few hundred dollars invested in dyno tuning to make sure everything is "safe" is very cheap insurance. It really isn't always about squeezing more hp out of your build (especially when you have a 700+ rwhp street car) so much is it is about ensuring that fuel and spark etc are where they need to be at all points between idle and redline. I'm sure you know what happens if it's just a tad lean and/or a little too much timing during a WOT pull. Of course you are ultimately responsible regardless, but if you nuke a piston or something I wouldn't expect KB to whip out their checkbook.

I hope your experience is different, congrats on your install and enjoy that power dude.
Certainly appreciate the input, but going to have to go with suggestion from kb not to mess with the tune. They supplied a tune for a kit they have sold hundreds of times on a stock motor. I will trust that they have provided a safe, conservative tune as they state. Now someday maybe I'll put it on the drum just to see the number.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:40 AM
1 Alibi 2
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bstang14
The " the monstrous intake tube ", ( 4.5" ), looks like a choke point, based on the step coupling going to the T/B.