4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Clutches?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 07:46 AM
Dizzy2217

Default Clutches?

I have a 98 gt. I plan on doing a pi swap.. cat delete and supercharger .. it has right now k&n filter screamin demon coil packs and flowmasters exhaust .. my oem clutch is in dire need of replacing .. given my future plans what would me best for my application .. stage 2 or 3? An what is everyone's opinion on Ford racing clutches?
Old 05-24-2017, 01:42 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

How soon (realistically) is all of this work going to happen? I only ask because I've been "planning" on a blower for about the last 10 years lol.

Only two I have any experience with besides the stock Valeo unit is Spec (stage 1) and Exedy Mach 400 (stage 2-ish).

The Spec was fine, had no issues. Their billet aluminum flywheel is another story. The ring gear separated from the flywheel after about 35K miles (although it took me over 6 years to accumulate that mileage), and since it was all apart anyway I just replaced the entire setup with Exedy stuff. Pedal feel with the Spec was a little heavier than stock but not bad, engagement was like butter - no chatter after break-in.

Like the Exedy better though. Handles a little more power (that I do not yet have anyway) and noticeably decreased pedal effort vs the Spec. Probably even a little less than stock, but it's been a long time since then so kinda hard to say.

I've heard the FRPP King Cobra clutch is decent but is a bit stiff as far as pedal effort goes.