Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Cost of a new transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 02:34 PM
CharminBear

Default Cost of a new transmission?

So I took my 69 mustang in because it had a leak. Auto shop called yesterday and I believe they said that there were a couple leaks because of worn seals on the transmission. Leaks weren't a big issues right now or demanded attention, so I could wait. To reseal them it would cost $2,000 all together. I asked how much to rebuild it, they said $2600. I am not a mechanic by any means and always assumed I could get a new transmission for $2000, then add labor, so to only rebuild it and labor costing $2600 that seems a bit high, but what do I know so I figured I'd ask some more knowledgeable people like you all.

This is an unexpected expense which I can barely afford once I get paid next week, but it almost couldn't have come at a worse time. So, I'm wondering is $2600 a fair price to build it, should I just get a new one and have that installed and if so what would that run me? What's a fair price for labor if I buy a new transmission myself and have this other legit guy I know install it? Just want to figure out my best options since I love this car, and unfortunately it is my daily driver and will be for at least another year or two as I can't afford a car payment at the moment. Thanks for any help and advice.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:24 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I'm assuming this is a C4/C6 and not a toploader.

What seals are leaking? There's really not all that much to replacing seals on these transmissions, so I'm not sure where $2000 is coming from. There's a tailshaft seal, torque converter seal, shift shaft seal, and pan gasket. Parts, even from a shop, should be well under $100, including a filter kit.

Labor to R&R the trans, replace seals, and change the filter, I'd guess at ~4-5hrs, and that's being rather generous. Say $100/hr (which is fairly common in CA), that's $500 labor. Seriously, it's not a 20+hr job.

How bad are the leaks? If it's not puking tranny fluid, keep driving it and topping it off and deal with the problem when you can afford it.

Last edited by Starfury; 05-25-2017 at 03:26 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:15 PM
CharminBear

Yeah the leaks weren't that bad at all. I think they said it was leaking transmission fluid and brake fluid.

Oh ****, I just saw you're in Davis. I'm in Sacramento. Is there a shop or someone you regularly go to? Or do you do all your own work?
Old 05-25-2017, 04:46 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Nice, I lived in Davis for 3 years while my wife and I went to UCD.

Edit: I'm less sleep deprived today, and I just realized you noticed my profile said I was in Davis, and that you're in Sac. I'm in Elk Grove now, and I fixed my profile

I do my own work on the Mustang, and what I can't get done on my Hondas I generally take to Elk Grove Honda.

I don't know the shops very well in Davis, although I've heard good things before about the shop over by Napa and Redrum Burger off Richards.

Brake fluid leaks are much higher priority than minor tranny fluid leaks, for obvious safety reasons. Definitely address those issues before anything else. If you can get an actual itemized quote from your shop regarding repairs, I can eyeball it to see if it makes sense.

Last edited by Starfury; 05-26-2017 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:02 PM
CharminBear

Yeah that'd be awesome. I'm going to call them tomorrow to find out how much it would cost to get my radio installed, so I can get an itemized list then. I just got off the phone with them and suddenly the price went down to $1300 for what sounded like an entire rebuild of the transmission with some new parts thrown in here or there.

I asked a friend of mine who has a 65 mustang about transmission stuff, he knows very little but more than myself and he said he's heard of people getting their transmissions rebuilt and having to go back to get it fixed again so his opinion was get a new one, but all the transmissions I've seen are like $2,000 alone before labor.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:08 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

C4's are fortunately pretty simple, so not usually too many problems unless the builder does a poor job.

If you want to pick up a remanufactured unit, PDQ is in Sacramento, and they supply decent rebuilt transmissions. TCI is another quality option, although they're not local (you'd probably be better off buying through Summit).

To install a modern stereo, you need a new bezel to accommodate the standard single-DIN stereo. I'd recommend picking this up yourself from a Mustang specialty supply shop. Other than that, wiring should be fairly simple as long as you already have a stereo in the car.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:50 AM
groho
4th Gear Member

First, take your tranny someplace else, that is way too pricing for a rebuild. Try Jim at ATO Performance Transmission, 916-636-3283, in Rancho if you want a properly built tranny for a performance application. I've had a couple done by him, prob one of the best perf tranny shops in Sac, period! PDQ is a reasonable stock tranny replacement joint at not a huge cost. Removing and replacing an automatic is fairly easy if you have the tools, just ask, we can help. Suggestion, do a bench build if the tranny is already out of the car. Drop it off, and pick it up in a week or so, you can probably get is completely gone through for $1K or less. I'm local in EG.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:17 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Really? I didn't know that. I live over in Laguna by Target, lol.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:32 PM
CharminBear

I live off elk grove blvd between Franklin and Bruceville O.O

Any of you all want to get Chipotle or something and talk cars/shops I'm always down. I know what I know in that I know NOTHING about cars so always open to suggestions.

Also I have no tools. $1300 is still too much? So you'd suggest a rebuild at ATO, or a new one from PDQ and having someone install it?

Last edited by CharminBear; 05-26-2017 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:43 PM
CharminBear

Also any chance either of you has a red mustang? I've seen a red one a couple times over the years. Mine is a sky blue, the color from when I bought it like 12 years ago. Ideal color would be calypso coral, or maybe a darker red.