General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1994 Mustang rev limiter

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 03:17 PM
gofaststuff

Default 1994 Mustang rev limiter

I have had a 1994 and 1995 Mustang GT, both cars appear to have a 5500 rom rev limiter. I have a 1994 Mustang GT 5 spd now and I am leery about doing performance mods if the car won't go over 5500 rpm.

I have researched and can't find anything specific on how to resolve this issue? I read one issue might be the fuel pressure is getting dropped to cut the rpm off. Im looking to put a cam and aluminum heads on the 1994 and don't want to be limited to 5500 rpm. I also had 1991 and 1993 mustangs and never experienced this problem, the 1993 was modified and would pull to 6500 rpm. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by gofaststuff; 08-02-2017 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:34 AM
gofaststuff

No one has any suggestions? On the 1995 mustang GT I had a performance chip programmed and installed and it wasn't any help.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:31 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Try keeping only one thread for a specific topic. It's annoying when there are multiple threads on the identical topic by the same person. It makes it hard to follow when people start replying to both threads. In the future, ask a Mod to move your thread to another subforum if you think it's needed to get more attention.

Anyways, the factory rev limiter is there for a few reasons, it keeps the car from over reving into an area where power will drop off quickly and protects you from imploding your engine. Simply removing it won't give you any more power.

Two, if you do plan on modding the car to where it will create power past the factory rev limiter, before you remove the limiter, make certain your engine can spin that fast and not implode. Things like cam spring/followers and and rod and main bearings may need to be replaced and/or upgraded to handle higher RPM's. Otherwise you could float a valve or break some springs/followers, or spin bearings. All of that means an engine tear down and rebuild.

Lastly, if you are modding the car, contact one of the forum sponsors like American Muscle, Brenspeed, Lund, etc and ASK. Do their tunes change the factory rev limiter or what's the best way to address your concern? They'll tell you.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:12 PM
gofaststuff

Thanks my question got answered in the other thread,