Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2006 Mustang GT common maintenance question

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 10:13 AM
fschaefer4

Default 2006 Mustang GT common maintenance question

My girlfriend and I have a 2006 Mustang GT with 147,000 miles on it. We are considering selling it, but aren't quite there yet- still enjoy driving it. As much as anything, I want to send it on in better condition. I like wrenching, so figured I'd do some common maintenance before I send it on.

My question to the forum is what would you do before sending your baby on.

I know I might not get my money back out of it, but that's ok. I want to do the work.

It's got new-ish rotors and brakes.
New tie-rod ends.
New Pirelli tires.

This is what I'm considering doing:
Either new ball joints pressed in or the GT500 arms/Moog lower control arms.
New spark plugs. If one of them snaps, I'm taking it in immediately.
New rear bearings- they're kinda loud.

Are there any other common maintenance replacement parts I should consider?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:22 AM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

brake fluid, brake pads, get the moog arms, you'll never recover the cost of the GT500 ones and the buyer won't appreciate it. Also, you don't specify whether it's auto or manual. If manual, change the oil. Also change the diff fluid and don't forget the friction modifier.

That being said, if you just want to wrench that's fine, but you'll lose more money than if you just sell is as-is.
Old 07-04-2017, 07:20 PM
fschaefer4

Thanks for the list. Yeah, I get that I won't make my money back, but we have an emotional attachment to the car. Would like to send it on better than we got it. Silly, I know. I don't even really know what it's worth, but I'll figure that out when I get there. I figure over the next month or so I'll peck away at the to do list.

Thanks again.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:09 AM
ROADRAGE!!!

Fuel filter??
Old 07-12-2017, 12:48 AM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by fschaefer4
My girlfriend and I have a 2006 Mustang GT with 147,000 miles on it. We are considering selling it, but aren't quite there yet- still enjoy driving it. As much as anything, I want to send it on in better condition. I like wrenching, so figured I'd do some common maintenance before I send it on.

My question to the forum is what would you do before sending your baby on.

I know I might not get my money back out of it, but that's ok. I want to do the work.

It's got new-ish rotors and brakes.
New tie-rod ends.
New Pirelli tires.

This is what I'm considering doing:
Either new ball joints pressed in or the GT500 arms/Moog lower control arms.
New spark plugs. If one of them snaps, I'm taking it in immediately.
New rear bearings- they're kinda loud.

Are there any other common maintenance replacement parts I should consider?

Thanks in advance.

You sound very generous, or you truly love the car. If latter, why not keep it? If former, you are to be commended as the first preparer of a used car for sale to truly give a **** about the buyer. I salute you! imp
Old 07-13-2017, 01:20 PM
g150rdt

I salute you sir, you are a selected person that really cares about the buyer of your car. There are few people like you, most want to screw the buyer. Thank you.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:29 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

I dont know that most sellers want to screw the buyer. We had a 2004 explorer. It had 165k miles on it. We sold it to a our dog watcher. Before I sold it I changed oil in it and did some other check ups on it. We replaced the transmission pump a year or two before we sold it. Among other things that we did that were more maintenance than anything else. I did make sure to say hey your buying an older vehicle and be prepared for that surprise fix. Im not sure if they have had any issues with it since they have had for a little over a year. We used for our getting around town toy. It wasn't an every day driver. I believe they use it as a every day driver. Id thing they have had problems with it but nothing major.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:26 PM
fschaefer4

Alright-
Since I've posted, my work life has kicked my ***.
Attempting the spark plugs and differential fluid tomorrow. I've read everything about the spark plug change, so I've got all the tools and lubricants lined up. If one snaps, then I'll order the Lisle puller kit and wait for it to come.

Thanks for the input guys.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:37 AM
fschaefer4

Well, the story has a sad ending.

Girlfriend and I split ways. (Not Mustang related). Gonna have to sell it as is. Guess I'll post in the classifieds section. If any of you are interested, let me know. You all probably know the value better than I.

Got the differential fluid changed. Didn't do spark plugs.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:31 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Sorry about the girlfriend, fortunately there are approximately 7 billion people on the planet and more than half are women. Keep the car and give her 1/2 of what it's worth if she paid 1/2 of it, otherwise, if the car is yours you don't have to give her anything since you're not married.

I got divorced, kept my car, have a great girlfriend now. My daughter has forbidden the sale of the car because she wants it for college (She's 13 now and lives with me).

Lesson: Women come and go but a Mustang is forever