Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Want to push 400 to 450 Hp 4.6l without breaking thing when done

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 07:51 AM
SpecOps-13@tampabay.rr.com

Default Want to push 400 to 450 Hp 4.6l without breaking thing when done

I have a low mileage 05 with a stick shift and 4.10 gears and want to get the power up. I know the s197 has a number of weak points in the drive train and possibly frame structure. What are they and what do I need to replace and with what to make the car live at those RWHP levels specifically??? Just want to make sure I have all the bases covered.... Thanks for any help, in advance....

Last edited by SpecOps-13@tampabay.rr.com; 08-12-2017 at 07:54 AM.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:03 AM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

You're in Florida. Justin at VMP is the man to see. You can supercharge and get to where you want to be with no ill effects.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:33 AM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Roush supercharger easily puts down 435 at the crank which they warrantied for 3 years. They have a pulley upgrade putting down more power without the warranty which tells you everything you need to know. Apparently, anything above 385 RWHP gets into breaking territory regarding willingness to warranty. I had a 2007 Shelby GT350 with a supercharger and it was very fast and reliable.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:26 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

The weak link in the 4.6 are the rods and pistons. Everything else in the car is nearly bulletproof,well, except for the TR3650 ransmission, but even that can be solved by converting it to 26 splines.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:25 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SpecOps-13@tampabay.rr.com
I have a low mileage 05 with a stick shift and 4.10 gears and want to get the power up. I know the s197 has a number of weak points in the drive train and possibly frame structure. What are they and what do I need to replace and with what to make the car live at those RWHP levels specifically??? Just want to make sure I have all the bases covered.... Thanks for any help, in advance....
The frame structure is fine but if you're going for 400-450rwhp, you'll need to upgrade the axleshafts to Moser 31-spline units. I'd also suggest upgrading the stock driveshaft to a one-piece aluminum unit and adding a driveshaft safety loop. The stock TR3650 tranny should be OK at that power level but the stock clutch definitely isn't, so that's another item to upgrade. With the tranny pulled out for the clutch upgrade, you could upgrade the input shaft to a 26-spline as flash_xx recommends while you're there.
The rods/pistons are definitely the weak link in the 4.6 engine when it comes to forced induction. However they should live fine at the 400-450rwhp level provided the tune is spot on. Avoiding detonation is the key as this is what breaks pistons and bends/breaks rods. Justin at VMP has an excellent reputation as a tuner so he'll be your "go to" man.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:43 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

consider a deep pan for your tranny. It will give you the ability to actually check your tranny oil. Catch cans are a good idea. look into LCA's for wheel hop. definitely change out your Drive shaft.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:48 AM
SpecOps-13@tampabay.rr.com

Good suggestions. Maybe My expectations are a little high but it is what it is. I love the body style but I also want a reliable car. I knew it would be a lot to get there, the 400 + mark. Not to sure about spending many thousands for a second or two gain. What about Zex Wet Nitrous and keeping the power in the upper 300's. I get so few runs it won't be an everyday hard run? Any thoughts there? Lost cause?

Thanks for the descriptive inputs....
Old 08-13-2017, 08:49 AM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

If you are looking for over 400 hp you are going to need to spend some serious coin. There's no other way. Even if you get the nitrous kit it will still run you into the thousands to purchase a proper set up.
The supercharger kits that are out there are absolutely reliable. I'd drive my car anywhere. For what it's worth, if I were starting over, the Roush TVS would be my first mod.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:22 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

CPTCO is right on with his statement. There really isn't a cheap way to do it. And if you go cheap then you will likely spend more. 400 is a reliable number to run on stock everything. Suggestions for everything else will help you out. And as funds become more available then it doesn't hurt to add on. New clutch with with Supercharger would be good starting point. Most people when adding power like this don't do it all at once. Lots of guys start off with supercharger kit. Then work there way up from there. You have some sense about yourself your car will be fine
Old 08-14-2017, 10:14 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

To save on labor costs (if you're paying someone else for the installation), my advice would be to slowly gather all the drivetrain parts you'll need (clutch assembly, flywheel, 26 spline input shaft, aluminum driveshaft/safety loop, C-clip eliminator kit, and Moser axleshafts) and do the installation in one hit rather than doing it piecemeal. You could also use the same opportunity to install suspension/brake upgrades.