Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Value of my Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 02:41 PM
genec728
1st Gear Member

Default Value of my Mustang

I own a white, 1966 Mustang convertible, 200 Cubic inch 6 cylinder engine with C-4 Auto Transmission. Due to my age and health I need to sell the car before something happens to me and my wife is stuck with the car. I bought this car in 1980 in pretty good condition and in the 37 years I've owned it it has been almost totally restored back to near new condition by me with help. Practically every part inside and outside has been replaced with new factory like parts. The engine and transmission were totally rebuilt by a professional engine builder, who is a friend of mine, that builds engines and transmissions for drag racers. The body has been totally stripped and repainted, the entire interior has been replaced with all new material, all chrome parts have been replaced with brand new parts, everything in the entire engine bay has been replaced with all new parts including all new wiring harnesses, etc. like the original parts. The convertible top was replaced a few years ago. All the glass is still original- no cracks or problems.
The car has standard brakes and steering - no power. I did replace the single bowl master cylinder with a dual bowl one several years ago for safety reasons. The car has been kept inside my special garage with a good car cover over it all these years. Since all this work was done the car has been driven less than 200 miles and has never been rained on. I start it up regularly but haven't taken it off my driveway in several years due to my age and bad personal health conditions. How should I determine an asking price for this car? Would appreciate any of your advice. Thank you!
Old 08-20-2017, 08:10 PM
Gun Jam

photos would be helpful a bit
Old 08-20-2017, 08:27 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

IMO, the answer lies in how quickly you intend to dispose of the car. Also, some of the more fanatical "buyers" will balk at learning of "new factory-like parts", while others will remain unfazed. If I had plenty of time, and was willing to bend to the exasperation of innumerable calls, questions, and promises (failed) to commit, I would ask $50,000.
imp
Old 08-20-2017, 11:59 PM
Gun Jam

Gosh imp that sounds a little optimistic.

its a 6cylinder but its probably quite clean and its a convertible, Its not all that original its obviously got miles on it its not a 100% original car that somehow got preserved in tree sap with the original autolite battery and original tires with only 1000 miles on it. A true factory specimen...

My gut feeling is maybe 15k and it might not even sell that fast at 15k.

Well at least genec728 can feel pretty confident that its worth somewhere between 10 to 15k and 45 to 50k
Old 08-21-2017, 11:33 PM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

Condition of the car is about 90% of it. It's a convertible so it's desirable and you will receive tons of calls. 6 cyl or not. Fastbacks and ragtops will get a lot of interested buyers. Pics would help a lot, I would start at 18-20 and prolly settle for 15-16. Again pics and condition would help. Sounds pretty nice from description however !