Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Multifunction Switch Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 02:39 PM
John Luke Robinson

Default Multifunction Switch Problems?

Hello everyone,

Let me start by saying I'm a car newbie, just in case I say something wrong or don't understand something!

I have a 2006 GT Convertible. For a while now, my car has had electrical problems. Through some research, some of them got narrowed down to the SJB needing to be replaced due to getting wet. This stuff isn't such a big deal for me right now.

I have more pressing problems. My wipers only work on the third (fastest) setting, my horn doesn't work, washers don't work, and my lights don't work (both fog lamps, low beams and high beams are all out). The only lights that work are the parking lights at the bottom, and my turn signals.
This is a bigger problem for me because I live in Florida (which means it always rains), and I work long hours (which means I'm usually not driving home until the sun is going down). So I need my wipers and lights.

Did some research, and a lot of people fixed these same problems by replacing the multifunction switch, or the turn signal switch, whichever you want to call it. I'm pretty good about taking my car apart and putting it back together properly, and have done some other repairs on my car myself. This one seemed easy enough, so I replaced it myself. However, all the same problems still exist. I double and triple checked my work just now, but the problems remain.

What am I missing? Is there another part that I need to replace in order to fix this?

ANY and ALL help is greatly appreciated!
Old 09-04-2017, 10:32 PM
tbar
2nd Gear Member

All these issues are probably related to the SJB.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:34 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

I think all of your problems are related to the SJB. If the leak isn't fixed, get that done immediately or the new SJB will go bad too. If fixed just replace the SJB.

I assume you've checked all the fuses and relays including those in the engine compartment fuse box and at the SJB?
Old 10-23-2017, 09:42 AM
John Luke Robinson

Sorry so long for getting back. First hurricane Irma then a load of other expenses

So to update, I had a lot of electrical problems, including no headlights. Got a new SJB and replaced it. Immediately (before reprogramming) my horn started working, and when I drove the car, the doors automatically locked, so I figured I had a good box, it just needed a reprogramming.

So I took it to Ford, and they reprogrammed, but when I got my car back later that day (I had to go to work) I still had no headlights and a bunch of other electrical problems. I called Ford this morning and asked about the reprogramming and they said it went fine, and that whoever told me I needed to replace the SJB "probably didn't know what they were talking about."

Any ideas as to what happened? Did they sham me for 120 bucks? Or is something else still wrong with the car? It now has a new SJB (which I'm convinced is actually fine) and a new multifunction switch. But still no headlights and other electrical problems.