Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005-2009 Cracked dash solution

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 09:26 AM
37ford

Default 2005-2009 Cracked dash solution

The dash on my 2005 has been cracked at each end of the defrost grille for several years now. I've been patiently waiting for some sort of fix that is much more reasonable than removing the whole dash and buying a new one. I have a CNC machine, so I just decided to try to come up with my own fix. I've got a prototype I am pretty pleased with, as far as appearance goes, but affixing the new piece to the existing dash has been the biggest challenge. There just doesn't seem to be a glue or tape that holds to the factory dash material as well as I would like.

I wanted to reach out and see how many 2005-2009 owners have the same problem. If there is enough interest, I am willing to put in the effort to develop an easy to install solution and sell them, and I believe I can do that in the $80-$100 range.
Attached Thumbnails 2005-2009 Cracked dash solution-grille.jpg  
Old 08-26-2018, 11:21 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

I would suggest getting a windshield shade. My dash is still like new. It does help parking it in the garage and when i am out, that windshield shade goes up.
Good idea you came up with, but what is a CNC machine?
Old 08-26-2018, 11:28 AM
Rocket Ray
2nd Gear Member

What did you make on the CNC? Is it the plastic piece that is slightly lifted in the pic? What did you make it from?

I use a reflective sunscreen, but I just retired (from a CNC machine shop), so mine doesn't sit outside. It is also stored indoors every winter, and has less the 30K on the odometer, so my dash is fine, but I was always worried about this happening as I intend to keep the car.
Old 08-26-2018, 11:40 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rocket Ray
What did you make on the CNC? Is it the plastic piece that is slightly lifted in the pic? What did you make it from?

I use a reflective sunscreen, but I just retired (from a CNC machine shop), so mine doesn't sit outside. It is also stored indoors every winter, and has less the 30K on the odometer, so my dash is fine, but I was always worried about this happening as I intend to keep the car.

I have a 2001 Ford E-150, no cracks in the dash and it is made of leather. The key is when the vehicle is parked in the sun, is to protect it from the rays. That's why I have car windshield shades in all of my cars. It also helps cut down on heat as well as keeping nosy onlookers from peeking inside. This is what i bought from Walmart; https://www.walmart.com/ip/Motor-Tre...Sizes/54406922

Old 08-27-2018, 10:00 AM
37ford

A CNC machine is a computer controlled router that can cut shapes out of various materials, based on a design created on computer software.

My original pic is my original dash that cracked at both end and all the vent fins broke loose as well. The only thing holding it in was a screw in the center that looked like it could only be accessed by removing the windshield. I just gave it a twist and removed the whole piece. It's shown in the first pic.

The second pic is a one of my prototypes That would replace the broken piece and cover over the broken edges.
Attached Thumbnails 2005-2009 Cracked dash solution-img_5462.jpg   2005-2009 Cracked dash solution-img_5495.jpg  
Old 06-25-2019, 03:49 PM
3rdGt

Default I have been looking all over Google for this part.

Originally Posted by 37ford
The dash on my 2005 has been cracked at each end of the defrost grille for several years now. I've been patiently waiting for some sort of fix that is much more reasonable than removing the whole dash and buying a new one. I have a CNC machine, so I just decided to try to come up with my own fix. I've got a prototype I am pretty pleased with, as far as appearance goes, but affixing the new piece to the existing dash has been the biggest challenge. There just doesn't seem to be a glue or tape that holds to the factory dash material as well as I would like.

I wanted to reach out and see how many 2005-2009 owners have the same problem. If there is enough interest, I am willing to put in the effort to develop an easy to install solution and sell them, and I believe I can do that in the $80-$100 range.
I have been looking all over Google for this part.
It seems to exist for newer models (non S197) but can't find any information on it.

Your post is all I've found, this is very creative of you, excellent job imo, I don't see cracks at either end like you show, it feels like the vent piece is a separate insert that possibly lays under part of the main dash to the window, but I haven't got too far into it yet, I see this post is a year old, what did you do in the end?.

I have disconnected most all of my air vent actuators from underneath the steering wheel and glove box as most were clicking, a mechanic doing an AC recharge recently heard one clicking and said "We have to pull the whole dash to replace all those when you are ready..." So I was preparing for paying a lot eventually to have all the actuators replaced (having the dash removed) but if this windshield defrost/defog grille is part of the dash then I guess I'll need an entire new dash as the grille is rattling and about to fall down inside, any info would be very helpful ... Thanks in advance.
Old 06-26-2019, 01:33 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

The actuators DO NOT require the dash to be removed for on the S197 Mustangs (2005-2009)... The most dismantling you have to do is the center console cover (two screws literally) and the center stack trim (just pulls off) (maybe the glove box). That will access to the two on the passenger side. The Drivers side one require the removal of the Dash Cluster as well. (four screws). The one under the glove box/blower requires no removal of anything.

If your mechanic says otherwise, he's either ignorant (doesn't know) or is trying to bend you over.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:40 AM
Rocket Ray
2nd Gear Member

Good job on that dash part, looks very professional. You might be able to sell some of these to folks that have the same problem you have.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:42 PM
cutiewenz01

37ford do you make the protype you have listed here? are do you know where i could purchase what you made its wonderful for anyone who owns 2005 to 2009 mustang! please touch base with me!
Old 08-07-2019, 09:54 PM
cutiewenz01

Wow! this is what i need? How can i get this prototype? 2006 Ford Mustang Base coupe

Quick Reply: 2005-2009 Cracked dash solution