Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are Alternators REALLY so Hard to get?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 12:31 AM
Dauntless
Banned

Default Are Alternators REALLY so Hard to get?

Took more than a month last year when mine went out. The dealer simply said they couldn't get one over and over again, Nor could anyone else. I finally got a rebuilt from Pep Boys that proved defective, the battery light when come and go. New battery didn't help, etc. I'd call the number and they'd take messages and that was the end of it. No more rebuilds from Pep Boys.

But I'm in California, I was wondering if that battery light was going to shut down the smog test. So I decided I needed a new alternator from the dealer. Which I still couldn't get. They'd take my number and say they'd figure out something and call me, they never did. I kept going in. Finally one day they had me order a rebuilt they could get, I was just going to have to settle.

It wouldn't take the bolt. Or any other bolt. But they insisted that was the only alternator they'd get me. So I found which tap would sort of screw in and I did some serous work on it. Wound up taking a 3/8" 16 bolt instead of the M10 1.00, I guess this was from an older Mustang that used the same alternator. No more battery light. I hope it lasts, I may never be able to get another.

Does anyone find it easy to get alternators?
Old 12-02-2018, 12:42 AM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Few brand new, and used ones over on Facebook marketplace.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...60407254760423
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...53163351763584
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...81357599162161

Plenty older ones too...

No one thinks to look on FB for stuff. That's where I got a lot of my rear
suspension components.
Old 12-02-2018, 02:41 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

I went with a PA performance HO one years ago...
http://www.paperformance.com/alterna...05-08-mustang/

Also, I believe you can get in touch with "department of boost" as they are offering a denso brand alternator that doesn't have the RPM issues that the 6g alternators from motorcraft have, and will mount up just fine.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:59 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

I would have just gotten one that was aftermarket. PA has good alternators
Old 12-02-2018, 08:26 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Just installed the PA performance alternator today into the wife's 05 gt. Brand new, and better warranty than the ones my local auto parts store gave.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:37 PM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

I got one from Auto zone, picked it up the same day and haven't had any problems with it. I have had that alternator for about 7 years now
Old 12-03-2018, 12:50 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

I bought a New (not remaned or rebuilt) TYC brand from Amazon. About half the cost of most other places. Had it since March, no issues even through the brutal AZ summer.
Old 12-03-2018, 04:40 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I was having alt. problems. Replaced with one from PA. Problem solved.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:11 PM
Mustang_Don

I got a new 130 amp TYC alternator from Rock Auto for less than $100, with a limited lifetime warranty a couple of weeks ago. The only problem that I've had is when I attempted to remove the existing alternator, I was unable to unlatch and unplug the electrical connector at the rear of the alternator, so the new one hasn't yet been installed. Does anyone aot there know the trick to unplugging this connector? Maybe I'm just not holding my mouth right.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:26 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Mustang_Don
I got a new 130 amp TYC alternator from Rock Auto for less than $100, with a limited lifetime warranty a couple of weeks ago. The only problem that I've had is when I attempted to remove the existing alternator, I was unable to unlatch and unplug the electrical connector at the rear of the alternator, so the new one hasn't yet been installed. Does anyone aot there know the trick to unplugging this connector? Maybe I'm just not holding my mouth right.
The Voltage regulator should just be a push type lock.. Push the tab down with your thumb and wiggle it out. Sometimes you have to push the connector in at first when you push down on the plastic tab to release the connector then wiggle it off while you keep the tab pushed.

If that doesn't work you can always get a small flat-head screwdriver and use it to gently push the tab down while you pull/wiggle the connector off.

Quick Reply: Are Alternators REALLY so Hard to get?