4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Transmission ears snapped off block

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2024, 08:29 AM
Citybuild122

Default Transmission ears snapped off block

The picture above is a photo off google, but I have circled my issues.

The sections in red are transmission brackets that have been totally snapped off the block by the previous owner unfortunately.
Green sections are good.
Yellow sections I can get bolts to start threading but they stop. Driver side is almost threaded enough to touch the block, but not quite and is really tight.
I am using brand new ICT Billet bolts.

First question: If I can get the yellow sorted, will I be okay to only run 4 bolts and not worry about the red sections being broke off? The passenger side is pretty much covered up from debris with the starter, but the driver side has a pretty large gap where I can see straight into the bellhousing. I'm thinking about having a friend of mine fabricate a plate to cover the hole.

Second question: Are the two longer trans bolts meant to go on the top yellow sections or the green sections? I am getting very conflicting answers on this.

Any advice is appreciated.
Old 04-16-2024, 07:01 AM
Oldhawk

Block is junk in my lowly opinion. Find another, don’t waste your time.
Old 04-19-2024, 01:05 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by Citybuild122
First question: If I can get the yellow sorted, will I be okay to only run 4 bolts and not worry about the red sections being broke off? The passenger side is pretty much covered up from debris with the starter, but the driver side has a pretty large gap where I can see straight into the bellhousing. I'm thinking about having a friend of mine fabricate a plate to cover the hole.

Second question: Are the two longer trans bolts meant to go on the top yellow sections or the green sections? I am getting very conflicting answers on this.

Any advice is appreciated.
I'd be a liar if i havent ran and raced cars with missing transmission bolts, stuff happens as long as the rest of the bolts are proper length and tight, and the crossmember is secured properly it should never be an issue

Long bolts are meant for the areas you circled in GREEN. Yellow circle bolts are "shorter", the holes in the block up there are thru holes but since they dont get covered completely with the OEM bolts rust builds up on the unused threads hence your hard time. Make sure the bolts you are running in there have the proper length shoulder (non threaded part under bolt head) If you bottom the shoulder out before the head seats you will also run into "bolt too long" feels.

Originally Posted by Oldhawk
Block is junk in my lowly opinion. Find another, don’t waste your time.
Sure, just find another block bro and swap it no big deal..... lets be realistic and work around the problem. great advice keep up the good work