Speed Density/Carb/SSP section This section is for the Speed Density or Carb vehicles, as well as Special Service Package 'Stangs

Carb Question!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 04:44 PM
bigrigs

Question Carb Question!!!

Hi guys, I was just wondering if I had a speed density 5.0 and wanted to change it to carb, what are the essential parts that should be changed and junked. I hear some people say it's just as easy as changing the intake and taking out the computer and injectors; but i think there is probably more to it. Also what happens to the injectors?????
Old 11-09-2008, 11:54 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

It is as easy as pulling the upper and lower intake, removing the injector wiring harness and hooking up the fuel line pretty much. Other than removing some wiring, a few sensors, some vacuum lines,etc it is pretty straight forward.......The carb is the injectors.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:51 PM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

if your gonna keep the elec. fuel pump you will need to get a regulator or change out the timing cover put on the ecentric on the front of the camshaft so you can put on a mechanical fuel pump
Old 11-10-2008, 10:10 PM
q8stang
3rd Gear Member

is there an advantage in swapping to carb?
Old 11-10-2008, 11:37 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

less weight on the front end, cheaper parts in the top end (intake and fuel systems), easier/cheaper to tune, and better throttle response are the pros to a carb. Overall more power usually but at the cost of gas milage. If I had an EFI and was going to the track most of the time with my car I would have a carb. If it was more of a DD in I would go with EFI but thats just me. But I do love my carb setup
Old 11-11-2008, 12:29 AM
q8stang
3rd Gear Member

but what is the max you can get out of them? can they run 10-9 sec i ask because i dont see any supercharger or turbo kit for carb. only n2o and i have alot of questions but mainly im buying a mustang just for track nothing else so mpg is any concern. and if carbed cars are better than efi for racing. are the 4 eye mustangs any good or is better to get 87+ car and swap it to carb?
Old 11-11-2008, 11:03 AM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

theres a turbo setup for carb cars on summit for 3500 dollars and most cars faster than 10 sec. are carbed
Old 11-12-2008, 01:39 AM
redpony88
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by q8stang
but what is the max you can get out of them? can they run 10-9 sec i ask because i dont see any supercharger or turbo kit for carb. only n2o and i have alot of questions but mainly im buying a mustang just for track nothing else so mpg is any concern. and if carbed cars are better than efi for racing. are the 4 eye mustangs any good or is better to get 87+ car and swap it to carb?
4 eye ftw!! there are such things as blowthrough carbs made for supercharger or turbo setups. i personally havent used one so i cant tell you much about them.
you can always throw on a weiand supercharger. those are top mount with a carb on top.
but like i said 4 eye fox's are bad a$$ i love em
Old 11-12-2008, 01:44 AM
redpony88
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bigrigs
Hi guys, I was just wondering if I had a speed density 5.0 and wanted to change it to carb, what are the essential parts that should be changed and junked. I hear some people say it's just as easy as changing the intake and taking out the computer and injectors; but i think there is probably more to it. Also what happens to the injectors?????
if you keep the elec fuel pump like stated above you need a regulator, otherwise you drop the tank, pull that pump and put a pickup in it's place then at the motor you can put the mechanical pump or.... what i did on my 83 was i put a small elec. pump that's made for carbs back where the fuel filter goes on efi cars.
you pull the efi upper and lower intakes, remove the harness for the injectors, you need to keep the sensors for coolant temp, oil pressure and thats really about it as far as sensors go.
btw...... the carb is the fuel source..... you dont use injectors with a carb setup....
Old 11-12-2008, 10:59 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Originally Posted by q8stang

Apparently you don't watch much racing. Tons of carbs run under 10 secs.

Paxton Kit for 85 stang
http://www.paxtonauto.com/systems_1001845.html

I would get a 4 eyed coupe since you want a track car and 4 eyed cars are a little lighter than 87+. As for the motor and options obviously if you can dream it up it can be done. Nothing is impossible.