Speed Density/Carb/SSP section This section is for the Speed Density or Carb vehicles, as well as Special Service Package 'Stangs

Need MORE power!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 07:03 PM
JayBanion
3rd Gear Member

Default Need MORE power!!!!!

Hey guys! I have and 88 GT mods are in my sig. Whats the most bang for the buck mod I can do next to get some more power? That isnt to expensive.

Thanks
Old 01-10-2009, 04:42 PM
82rscapri

nitrous is the cheapest, best bang for your buck. i would say go for a zex kit because they have a well made kit for fuel injection. i have a carb'd lx with around the same mods you have with less gear an 50 shot. without the shot i ran 13.6@101. waitin for the track to open so i can see what it does with the 50. It pulls alot better an is way more fun even with a small shot, plus our motors can handle a 50 with ease aslong as its put on properly an with the correct safty add-ons (bottle heater,purge,windowswitch). hope this helps.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:46 PM
JPJP
1st Gear Member

I also recommend getting an aftermarket chip w/ 160 degree thermostat, underdrive pulleys, 1.7 ratio rockers, also bump up the initial timing to 14 degrees B.T.D.C. if it will handle it and run premium gas.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:50 AM
JayBanion
3rd Gear Member

I kinda want to stay away from nitrous, I dont think certain people would like me cruzin around with a bottle where my backseat used to be haha. Plus I dont go to the track that often. As far as the aftermarket chip goes, whats the best one to get, and how much of a differance should I expect with that. I also was plannin on advacing the timing a little bit.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:46 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Pull the heads and do a DIY minor port on the heads. It cost you the price of a head gasket set and a port kit from standard abrasives. I think the pack comes with light porting instuctions. About 100 dollars should do the job. You should be able to pick up 20-30 hp and a good bit more torque across the board. You could open up the intake a little while you have it off
Old 01-21-2009, 10:11 PM
Smasher O'Brannan

In my opinion, A chip is just that. a Chip. Not alot of performance is going to be gained our felt with a chip. And if your running a stock or stock type distributor, your not going to be doing "any" advancing in the timing department with the Ecu controlling all that. swap to a aftermarket ignition and distributor if you haven't all ready and then youre good to go.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:19 AM
JPJP
1st Gear Member

The intitial timing can be advanced by disconnecting the "SPOUT" connector and then reconnecting the spout afterwards. The computer will then add the advance on top. This is a free performance upgrade.

To quote Mustang 5.0 Technical Reference and Performance Handbook: "To optimize engine performance, the 10 deg. initial (BTC) timing specified for SEFI engines shoud be reset to approximately 14 deg. An initial spark setting of 14 deg. with an OE EEC-IV processor produces approximately 38 deg. of total ignition advance."

In my opinion do this "before" getting an aftermarket chip. From experience the aftermarket chips do additional advance/performance enhancements. Jetchip and Hypertech chips have both been successful for me.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:45 PM
JayBanion
3rd Gear Member

Ok thanks. Where is the spout connector located?
Old 01-22-2009, 10:06 PM
JPJP
1st Gear Member

Located at the front of the engine pigtail where the distributor is plugged in you will see the spout connector haning out. The following link has a pic. of one:

http://books.google.com/books?id=V6K...esult#PPA26,M1
Old 01-23-2009, 03:43 PM
ponyboy88
3rd Gear Member

another tip for some extra ponies, while setting ur timming to 14 degrees, put in a better coil (MSD Blaster or the like) and re gap your plugs to .54 and do a good cap/rotor and wire install. You dont see it alot here but alot of the guys running these motors in trucks do this tune up, you get a noticable gain. Porting your heads/ intake is also good.

Quick Reply: Need MORE power!!!!!