Speed Density/Carb/SSP section This section is for the Speed Density or Carb vehicles, as well as Special Service Package 'Stangs

which is better EFI or CARB?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 06:24 PM
psychotech

Default which is better EFI or CARB?

i have a 95 gt with a 331 stroker in it with edlebrock aluminum heads, trickflow stage one cam, lifters, roller rockers, high flow oil pump, ac delete, smog delete, 3.73 gears, off-road x pipe, shorty headers, and a few other things that i cant think of right now but im thinking about going carbed. What does everyone think about that?
Old 05-13-2010, 06:25 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

its really about personal choice. you can make great hp either way. personally i prefer efi but thats just me
Old 05-13-2010, 06:28 PM
fordboy5.0
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by psychotech
i have a 95 gt with a 331 stroker in it with edlebrock aluminum heads, trickflow stage one cam, lifters, roller rockers, high flow oil pump, ac delete, smog delete, 3.73 gears, off-road x pipe, shorty headers, and a few other things that i cant think of right now but im thinking about going carbed. What does everyone think about that?
carb is allot easier and allot cheaper
Old 05-13-2010, 07:07 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

your problem is you have a 302 h/c/i on a stroker motor, carb won't help you much
Old 05-14-2010, 08:48 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

If you already have EFI then keep it. Converting to a good carb and getting all the tuning parts etc will cost more than you think. And just being honest, but if you have to ask if you'll gain anything by going to carb, then it's unlikely you could properly tune one. There's a lot more to it than just changing jets if you want to get a good carb really dialed in.

If you have nothing for induction and either learn how to tune a carb(Pro Systems sells videos on that) or know someone who does, then building a from scratch system, carb is cheaper.

As far as power, it really ends up being the same either way. Neither system has enough advantage over the other when properly set up to justify swapping just for a power gain.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:46 PM
psychotech

thanks for all the input...i dont know how to tune a carb but i have a few good friends that do and are willing to help me...swapping over to carb was recommended from a car builder said it would be a more lean power or something like that
Old 05-14-2010, 10:39 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Pfffft. Sounds like it was someone who's a carburetor nut swinger and thinks everything should be carb. You already have decent EFI, I'd stay with it. Chances are swapping to a carb will result in more performance problems than improvements, and it can take a while to work bugs out of a carbureted setup.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:38 PM
psychotech

yeah that is possible but as far as i know the two guys that i have telling me i should switch over never made it sound like that but it is possible but i already sold the setup i had so i could go get the car...i had it in ohio before i joinded the navy so i had to go get it. i just think it is easier to go carbed than to stay injected because it cost a lot more to upgrade the fuel system then the carb set up
Old 05-15-2010, 10:02 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

So you have no induction system right now? If so, yeah, carb is cheaper and easier, but you have to know what you're doing to get them tuned. I did a header swap the other week and it threw my tune out, and if you'd seen me messing with it today trying to get it right you'd think twice about using a carb. I may even have to change the emulsion in the metering block to get it right.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:58 AM
effin' speedracer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by psychotech
Do you know how to work on and tune a carb? It's a lot more work but well worth it.

Quick Reply: which is better EFI or CARB?