Speed Density/Carb/SSP section This section is for the Speed Density or Carb vehicles, as well as Special Service Package 'Stangs

problem with my 84?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 06:32 PM
Noob X

Default problem with my 84?

Wassup guys I have a 84 1/2 GT350 With a 302 v8 carb the issue I'm having is when I give it throttle it cuts off but idle and turns on fine then when I'm driving it and shift into the next gear it does it again the car has a holley 600 carb flow master headers with full exhaust just put in ne plugs to any help is appreciated thanks fellas
Old 06-23-2013, 06:43 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Carb issues, I'd say. Accelerator pump maybe.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:01 PM
Noob X

How do I go about checking that issue?
Old 06-23-2013, 07:38 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

That I'm not sure of. I'm a bit too young to be well versed on carb repair/diagnosis. I understand how they work but finding the problem is another animal.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:07 PM
DK Pony
4th Gear Member

Is this a new problem? New (to you) car? Does it die or just stumble?
There are several things it could be. I personally hate Holley carbs but I have worked on many of them over the years.
These carbs also have power valves that can cause problems if the vehicle has ever backfired through the carb.
Also is your ignition in good shape? Coil? Wires? Vac lines?
Sorry but we need a lot more info.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:28 PM
Noob X

Since I got it its been doing that since I got it I didn't put the carb it came like that I have the stock one but haven't put it back and was eliminating the emissions stuff but even before I did that and put the headers still did it also been trying to adjust the clutch just had no luck
Old 06-23-2013, 08:32 PM
Noob X

It cuts the gas off and loses power for a second then kicks back on like if I clutch kicked
Old 06-23-2013, 08:37 PM
DK Pony
4th Gear Member

So does it actually stall out (you have to restart it) or is it just a bad stumble off the line?
Does this happen only when you get on it or just normal acceleration?
There are several youtube videos for basic Holley carb adjustments out there. There are several adjustments that can be made to address these problems but you need to make sure that vac lines, distributor, coil, plugs and wires and timing are good too.
You said you put headers on? That opens up the exhaust and can cause a lean condition. You may need to rejet or at least adjust the air/fuel ratio.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:42 PM
DK Pony
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Noob X
It cuts the gas off and loses power for a second then kicks back on like if I clutch kicked
You snuck that one in on me while I was typing..lol

So that is a stumble. Not a stall.
As I said there are several adjustments on the Holley that can address the problems you are having. Since you don't know if the PO set the carb up correctly for the car you should probably start from the beginning on the carb adjustments.
Here is one I found in just a few seconds on youtube,
Old 06-23-2013, 08:46 PM
Noob X

Its when normal acceleration it stumbles but even in idle if I rev it still does the same thing ill make a video on it tomorrow and post it here and yea some vac lines are out cause there's no plugs on the carb we checked them all to see if they did anything but nothing

Quick Reply: problem with my 84?