StangSuspension.com Your source for late model Ford Mustang suspension parts and performance!

Suspension upgrade advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 02:26 AM
Tribesman

Default Suspension upgrade advice needed

Just recently received some suspension upgrades for my 2002 Mustang GT (daily driver): subframe connectors, lowering springs ( 1 to 1.5 inches ), shocks & struts and rear lower control arms. I plan on reusing the old spring isolators and I’m going to try and do without CC plates. I’ll install everything myself except the subframe connectors and so I have a few ?’s.

1. Would it be necessary (or highly advisable) to purchase/install anything else with this upgrade? ( my aim for this vehicle is strictly for the street ).
2. With the parts installed and the car properly aligned, will the tire wear be affected at all?

Thanks,

Steve
Old 10-27-2007, 04:00 PM
STANGSUSPENSION
Former Sponsor

Default RE: Suspension upgrade advice needed

I hope to answer your questions...

1. The "highly advisable" item to install would be caster/camber plates. Chances are you will need them if your car is lowered 1.5 inches. Remember also, CC plates do not just correct alignment for your Mustang, but also maintain alignment. Your stock strut mounts do not do the best job of maintaining alignment due to the rubber mount.
2. Tire wear will be affected if your alignment cannot be corrected (IE. alignment is thrown off enough to not be corrected with OEM mounts).

If you're worried about tire wear, but do not want to purchase CC plates. You can always try camber bolts. http://www.stangsuspension.com/store...?idproduct=510Camber bolts allow you to correct camber only. While they do not replace your stock strut mount, they will help prevent the tire wear.

Sincerely,
Old 10-27-2007, 06:32 PM
Tribesman

Thanks. I think I will purchase those bolts.

I had also heard that it's a good idea to dial in a little bit of negative camber to offset the lowering. If that's true how much negative camber should I request the alignment shop to adjust?
Old 10-28-2007, 02:05 PM
STANGSUSPENSION
Former Sponsor

Well your car should be about 1 degree negative from the factory, AND you should maintain that after lowering. About 1 degree negative camber is good for 2 reasons.

1. it helps "average" out the camber through most of your suspension travel (remember your suspension moves up and down constantly, your camber will change every second...)
2. it helps your tires gain more grip when turning... it allows them to "lean" into the turn and increases the contact patch on the outside tire...

What you do not want is too much negative camber, which is what you'll get after lowering the car....