Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Art's Stang

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 12:20 AM
Colvindesign
1st Gear Member

Default Art's Stang

My buddy Art passed away a couple of weeks ago, from Cystic Fibrosis, he is one of the main reason's I got into building cars, and most of the cars I have helped build, were his.

Wanted to tell you all about this kill story of Art's that I witnessed from my other friend, Andy's Mustang. We were driving on a tollway about 3AM, and we just exited to cross over to a smaller local highway, and the crossover road is a 5 lane wide Mall and Retail road, Well Art is stopped at the light in his 92 Baby Blue Hatch, and we were just turning onto the road, about 1/8th mile back when we get passed by two teenagers in an Azure Blue Vette (C4 roughly 93-96ish). We just look at each other and were like "oh ****".

Well, the light turns green when the vette is about 100 feet behind the Stang, and Art dumps the clutch at 3300, and it just hooks (guess that is why he wanted the 275 MT drag radials, pinion snubber and frame rails, air bag in the right spring, race shocks.... well you get the idea). At the same time, the Vette's rear end just squatts. The closest the Vette got, was the front end even with the rear wheel, then Art started pulling like a damn maniac. He got about another 100 foot in front of the Vette and lifted, the kids in the Vette flipped him off as they passed. He seriously made that Vette look slow from our perspective.

Art's Stang was a Baby Blue Lx with Grey leather and no Sunroof. THe bottom end was stock, the heads were TFS-Rs, and then he had them Portmatched to a highly ported Cobra intake (we rolled a 1/2 dollar into the Intake port of the head). THe bump stick was an E-303, then we added a completely new cooling system, 4 core all aluminum racing radiator, high flow water pump, 160 degree thermo. THe fuel system was all new, 3/8s lines from back to front. Forget what headers he had but they were equal length shorties. Adjustable fuel pressure regulator, 42# injectors... I think. Anyway, had a lot of fun building that car, many sleepless nights in a borrowed garage, and a hell of a lot of fun seeing it beat a lot of infamous cars in the area.

Art had faster cars but that was his baby, the one with perfect paint, interior, and looked stock, even sounded stock until about 3500 rpm. THe only thing out of place on that car was the hurst shifter, but that just made it sweeter.

Anywho, hope you all enjoy this story, I know I loved watching it happen right in front of me.
Old 09-16-2004, 02:14 AM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Art's Stang

cool kill story. sorry to hear about your friend what happened to the car ? did you get it, or does his family have it ?
Old 09-16-2004, 09:26 AM
iiiGTiii
2nd Gear Member

sorry bout your buddy r.i.p, how old was he and what does that sickness do to you, nice kill story yes what happen to the car
Old 09-18-2004, 12:36 AM
Colvindesign
1st Gear Member

He was about 2 weeks from his 27th B-day. That Disease makes your Lungs fill up with fluid. People with it usually have small limbs compared to their torso, and they are usually small, Art was 135 lbs soakin wet with a brick in his pocket.

The Mustang was sold to get a T-type. Some young punk bought it, bolted on a used Vortech Supercharger, took it to the track and ran a really low time, forget what it was. Then it was beat pretty bad, dents and scratches, etc. Kinda sucks.
Old 09-18-2004, 08:26 AM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

yeah it does. sorry again about your friend. i dont even wanna think about losing my best friends.
Old 09-19-2004, 09:45 PM
xgmowner

That's a great story...so young too to pass away like that...really a shame. Sorry to hear about your friend and the fate of his old car...that sucks. But at least he had a lot of fun while he was still around, and probably had a lot of happy memories of cars and racing. Having good friends, a love in your life, whether it be cars or people, and living to the fullest is the important thing.

Dave.
Old 09-19-2004, 10:42 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

my condolences
Old 09-19-2004, 10:52 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

dude,sorry for your loss.especially at so young,if i was you no matter what shape that car is in.get it,just for personal reasons put it back together hell if i got a part you need it's yours. arthur.
Old 09-25-2004, 03:59 PM
Colvindesign
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys,

I am building my current stang in his memory, and I will never get rid of it.

It will be a daily drivable 450+hp beast..... probably a little more than he had but other than that I am going to clean up the lines a bit, eliminate the trim, newer type door handles, etc. Done in my own style, but I know he'd like it.

I know whenever I'll be wrenching on one of my cars he'll be standing over my shoulder.

Thanks again guys.

I must say, even before this post, I ran into nothing but honest and good people on here, and I can see I will be a long time member here.

Brian
Old 09-25-2004, 04:02 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

This is a rather good Forum. We have our resident boneheads but what forum doesn't?

Sorry to hear about your friend.

Quick Reply: Art's Stang