Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Racing Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 05:07 PM
Sap
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Racing Helmet

I race with an open face helmet, 60 bucks. It passes inspection, fits securely and doesn't intrude on my vision or make me uncomfortable. Here are the requirements for our local 1/8th mile

http://www.racelegal.com/site/requirements.htm

E.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:07 PM
HaV
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ride Of The Month

for a LONG time i never had any problem, using a snell 95 helmet...but from sitting in the car all of the time, the insides of the foam got all crappy, and last year at norwalk, they failed me for tech because of my helmet. they wouldnt let me run at an all-mopar national event. i tried to play the "it only runs mid 14s", but the guy said that he recognized the car and that it was faster than that. [:@]

i then bought a helmet that i thought that i would like, and i went with the 2005 just so that i wont have to go through it for a while. ive had some head injuries, and im very picky about my helmets. i REALLY miss my old helmet...it was far more comfortable.
and for those of you who keep your helmet in your car all the time, dont...i found out the hard way that over time, the constant heat of being in a car ruins the liner...
Good to know.. I'll go take mine out [&:] Never even thought about that.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:09 PM
JT76

ORIGINAL: Ride Of The Month

for a LONG time i never had any problem, using a snell 95 helmet...but from sitting in the car all of the time, the insides of the foam got all crappy, and last year at norwalk, they failed me for tech because of my helmet. they wouldnt let me run at an all-mopar national event. i tried to play the "it only runs mid 14s", but the guy said that he recognized the car and that it was faster than that. [:@]

i then bought a helmet that i thought that i would like, and i went with the 2005 just so that i wont have to go through it for a while. ive had some head injuries, and im very picky about my helmets. i REALLY miss my old helmet...it was far more comfortable.
and for those of you who keep your helmet in your car all the time, dont...i found out the hard way that over time, the constant heat of being in a car ruins the liner...
yeah last year my car ran a 13.6x's with 250rwhp.....i now have 421rwhp[&:]i dont think they will let me slide this time.....i can see it now, i rollin into tech....tech moron:"whats the car run"...me: "high 13's"....tech moron: "whats that black box on top of your engine with the pulley sticking out of it"...me: "damn it"

Old 04-03-2007, 05:12 PM
Demon 340
Administrator

a few years ago, i left my helmet at the shop, and we drove a couple hundred miles to race...when i got there, the tech guys asked me what it runs...i told them, ill be happy with 14s...the guy didnt pay any attention and pushed me through, and after my runs, i had my dads helmet that is way too small on the seat...and the line judge busted me...so i had to use a rental helmet...[:'(]
Old 04-03-2007, 07:22 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BleedinBlue

Sooo...if I'm gonna go to the track this summer I guess I need to find a helmet. This is something I have kind of disregarded, until now that the track is open. So I know GIR requires helmets to be "Snell 2000" or better...whatever the hell that means...... Are auto racing helmets the same as motorcycle/atv/motorcross helmets, or are they different? I'm clueless, I know. [>:]
NHRA requires Nell ratings of M95, SA95, K98 or similar 2005 ratings. I set SA2005 as the goal to shoot for and went with the following purchase today. I hate closed face helmets so went with this one from Summit for $149.00.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku
Old 04-03-2007, 09:59 PM
bbbaycuuu
2nd Gear Member

Hey not to steal the thread, but do all tracks require helmets? ive never been, and is there anything else they require? is it only for certain times? thanks.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:02 PM
Demon 340
Administrator

if you run 13.99 of faster, you have to have a helmet, and some tracks require helmets for all convertibles...you dont need any other safety stuff (fire suit, roll cage) until youre quite a bit faster.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:48 AM
PERTANO
2nd Gear Member

I ordered my lid today too. I was going to get the G-Force open face, but then I realized that if my face hits the damn steering wheel or something it's gonna hurt. So I ordered this one instead. It's a bit costly, but I want to do Autocross and some road races laters so this will come in handy.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:38 AM
Nvr2old32
2nd Gear Member

What's weird is I've never been asked to see my helmet when going through tech. I think it's within standards but I don't know much about helmets. I was chatting with my neighbor one dayand the subject came up about needing a helmet for the track and he mentioned he'd sell me one of his for $20.00.At that time, he had 3 motorcycles (2 harleys & a goldwing) Worked for me!
Old 04-04-2007, 11:35 AM
Demon 340
Administrator

what are the specs on that helmet , pertano?

Quick Reply: Racing Helmet