Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

raced friends SS

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 09:38 PM
The Stig
4th Gear Member

Default RE: raced friends SS

ORIGINAL: probinator

Thought cause theSS had the better intake and exhaust, they made more hp?

Read this hear.

To commemorate the 2002 milestone of Camaro, a special 35th anniversary package is offered in limited numbers for the souped-up Camaro SS coupe and convertible.

Painted in Bright Rallye Red with twin stripes streaking from tip to tail in silver but fading to the checkered pattern of a race flag, these daring designs roll on black aluminum wheels from the SS with black anodized brake calipers plus the Camaro nameplate etched in silver across front grille and rear fascia.

Inside, the package applies leather to seats in the shade of ebony offset by pewter-colored leather inserts.

The coupe gets two removable T-top roof panels, while the convertible has a black ragtop that drops out of sight.

And concealed beneath that extended prow on both machines, a retuned version of Corvette's aluminum 5.7-liter V8 engine with forced air induction pushes the power curve 15 points above the Z28 rating to 325 hp at 5200 rpm, with torque skewed as high as 350 lb-ft at 4000 rpm.
Oh well slap them around most of the time anyways.
It wasent avlible on all SS's. It was a special SLP package that was optinal. I think its pretty rare, I have never seen an LS1 in person that came with the SLP package from the factory. Anyway the SS = Z28 power wise.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:39 PM
TommyV8
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: probinator

Thought cause theSS had the better intake and exhaust, they made more hp?

Read this hear.

To commemorate the 2002 milestone of Camaro, a special 35th anniversary package is offered in limited numbers for the souped-up Camaro SS coupe and convertible.

Painted in Bright Rallye Red with twin stripes streaking from tip to tail in silver but fading to the checkered pattern of a race flag, these daring designs roll on black aluminum wheels from the SS with black anodized brake calipers plus the Camaro nameplate etched in silver across front grille and rear fascia.

Inside, the package applies leather to seats in the shade of ebony offset by pewter-colored leather inserts.

The coupe gets two removable T-top roof panels, while the convertible has a black ragtop that drops out of sight.

And concealed beneath that extended prow on both machines, a retuned version of Corvette's aluminum 5.7-liter V8 engine with forced air induction pushes the power curve 15 points above the Z28 rating to 325 hp at 5200 rpm, with torque skewed as high as 350 lb-ft at 4000 rpm.
Oh well slap them around most of the time anyways.
Performance-wise SS = Z28. I don't care what the above propaganda says. Just click my link already. Please. For the love of Baby Jesus, click and read.

EDIT: Stig is too fast for me with the keyboard.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:50 PM
ripped camel
4th Gear Member

Funny, 3rd is when that Cadillac CTS-V I raced would have started pulling on me. That's pretty amusing that you had the same results with racing a GM as I did.

Old 11-26-2007, 11:21 PM
KBlaze94

You should take him with those mods w/ traction..and even the 345 package on SS's havent put out any better numbers than any other f-body from what ive seen..i have two friends with them and have dyno'd with them.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:43 PM
radaman
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: danGT06

I think because he is an auto a CAI/tune/OR pipe and 4.10s will probably be able to take him. If he had the 6sp I don't think you would stand a chance without FI. It will still be close though even if you get those mods. Just hope that he doesn't do the same.
UM...the chevy autos are pretty good and do shift fairly fast, even in stock form. I agree with it being an even race with the mods he wants to add, but that chevy might throw in a few mods as well and the race will be just like was the first time. If the camaro stays as is and u add those mods and can drive, u may take him in the 1/4...but racing up to more than 120mph and he may still catch u...good luck.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:11 AM
S8ER01Z
6th Gear Member

Just stay out of the triples (as he said) and toss on CAI/Tune and you should be able to pull it off.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:00 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: KBlaze94

You should take him with those mods w/ traction..and even the 345 package on SS's havent put out any better numbers than any other f-body from what ive seen..i have two friends with them and have dyno'd with them.
Yes because it was all marketing hype.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:07 PM
MikesTorchedGT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: danGT06

Well I have everything but 4.10's and my cars best is 13.2 @ 106. Maybe some drag tires and I would be able to get into the 12's. I always thought the SS trapped higher around 108. I could be wrong though
Well i have mods in sig and ran a 13.4 @ 105 almost 106 and thats with a 2.15 60ft. theres alot of factors in track times, weather, prep, expirence/drivier mod. along with the s197s some seem to be faster then others with the same mods or less, i dont know if its in the tunes or wat but i find them very inconsistant.
Now to answer the poster of the thread, i have beat stock ls1s from digs, rolls and at the track with my mods. i have lost to a full bolt on ls1 by a car, and just a few nights ago i lost to a cat back and hand held programer only auto 2001 ws6 by a car and i was not expecting that. come to find out he ran 12.7 @ 108, fact is you never know what your gonna get. but with the mods you listed you should have a good shot, it sounds like just a good intake and tune will do it for you

Old 11-27-2007, 08:46 PM
cammed99gt
4th Gear Member

All those are good idea's but if your losing up top get something that helps up top to.Like long tube headers.U will have a lot better power band and u will gain power up top.Gears,full exhaust and atune are your best bet and u should have him.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:01 PM
Morbid Intentions
Wash Rinse Repeat

ORIGINAL: cammed99gt

All those are good idea's but if your losing up top get something that helps up top to.Like long tube headers.U will have a lot better power band and u will gain power up top.Gears,full exhaust and atune are your best bet and u should have him.

I don't know much about tech but I do hang out around a shop alot... and the tuner likes to preach that without a power adder the stock manifolds and exhaust systemon the S197 GT flows almost flawlessly as it isand swapping exhaust components is a very costly thing for such low RWHP gains... but that's just from what i've heard so i could be wrong

Quick Reply: raced friends SS