Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Great Night for my steed... (3.7) Long story

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 01:08 AM
Bokeo
2nd Gear Member

Default Great Night for my steed... (3.7) Long story

Ok.. let me start this off by saying I do not condone street racing at all and am a safe and courteous driver at all times.. Also, when we did race, there were ZERO cars around... none behind... in front.. to the side. PERIOD.

But tonight I could just not resist.. on to the story.

I was at my buddys house having dinner and his wife complimented me on the car and asked a few questions about it. My buddy Mike then added that he loved the color (grabber blue) and asked if it was a GT. I said 'no' and that it was a 2011 v6. He said "what? I thought it was a GT for sure from the way it sounded as you pulled up".

I chuckled alittle bit and told him it was probably the borla exhaust I put on there that made it sound alittle meaner =P. After we finished eating I asked him if he wanted to take the car out for a spin, to which he excitedly said "hell yeah".

We go out and I get into the passenger seat and he the driver seat. He started off alittle rough.. actually stalling it the first time, but after starting her back up he was off (to a bumpy start). He drove her around the block and couldnt stop smiling.. he loved it but wanted to see what she could do and was scared he would mess up the transmission and what not. He pulled over and I got into the driver seat.

He pointed me in the direction of the highway and we were off. We got to the turn near the highway and low and behold... a 2008 Black Mustang GT with Black 19's pulls up behind me. My buddy notices it and asks about it, I tell him that it has a v8 and 'on paper' is faster than my car.

We make the turn.. and the GT pulls up into the lane to the left of me. I notice that hes by himself and I thought to myself 'damn.. Im probably not gonna be able to keep up with him cus I got my 220 LB friend in here.

Im going about 35 at this point and hold it there in 2nd. He pulls even and I hear that he is in 2nd gear as well. I then honk 3 times... and we're off.

We both hit it pretty evenly.. we were dead even until I hit 5000 rpms in 2nd gear and I then walked his front bumper to my door. I slammed 3rd gear(chirping it of course) and wound out 3rd gear with his front bumper ending at my back bumper. At this point we were going over 100 so I slowed down and we came up to a empty traffic light.

I rolled down my window and he his and complimented him on his car. He said thanks and asked me if that was a '11 v6 to which I proudly said yes. I told him I had a borla exhaust and cold air intake but was stock otherwise (including the horrible 2.73 gears). He said it sounded "bada$$" and was planning on getting an exhaust next. His car was bone stock besides the rims. I reccomended borla and told him that his GT responds really well to a Tune and cold air intake as well to which he agreed.

The light turned green and he went straight while I turned off heading back to my buddys house. We got back and he excitedly told his wife what just happened...

I couldnt stop smiling myself.. I was so proud of my 3.7 tonight... I am going to give her a good washing tommorow to show her my appreciation of running so strong tonight.

Hope the story wasnt too long and I hope the admins dont delete it cus it includes "street racing". Once again.. there was NO cars around and it was a straight road. I am not saying my actions were smart, but I consider myself a good driver.

Thanks for reading

CLIFF notes: Raced a 2008 Mustang GT from a 35 roll and pulled 1 car length by the top of 3rd gear. This GT was bone stock besides rims.

My car: 2011 3.7 6 speed (2.73 ratio), MMR cold air intake, Borla S-type Axel back exhaust.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:09 AM
Socal6r

Well, clearly you do condone street racing lol.

But, nice on showing what your sixer can do.

Nick
Old 01-07-2011, 02:15 AM
MythEyeLess
3rd Gear Member

a win is a win!
Old 01-07-2011, 02:21 AM
JimmyM
3rd Gear Member

Not to be a sour grape here but from a dig he would most likely take you

We love our V6's but I'm sure we hold no illusion over facts.

But yeah these 2011 V6 really pull in higher RPM.. I have the Performance Package (3.31 gears) and I can ride 2nd all the way to 60+ faster than I would ever try with cars around me.

Nice one regardless a win is a win
Old 01-07-2011, 02:24 AM
LTDan
1st Gear Member

Kind of off topic, but not really How do you like that Borla exhaust? Is it real loud, or just right? And have you heard the ATAK system to compare it to by any chance?
Old 01-07-2011, 07:42 AM
Bokeo
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Socal6r

Nick
Thanks bro

Originally Posted by MythEyeLess
a win is a win!
Yes, still cheesing over it!

Originally Posted by JimmyM
Not to be a sour grape here but from a dig he would most likely take you

We love our V6's but I'm sure we hold no illusion over facts.

But yeah these 2011 V6 really pull in higher RPM.. I have the Performance Package (3.31 gears) and I can ride 2nd all the way to 60+ faster than I would ever try with cars around me.

Nice one regardless a win is a win
Yes of course, if he knew how to launch his car he would probably smoke me from a stop. Thats why 3.73's and a tune is coming soon

Originally Posted by LTDan
Kind of off topic, but not really How do you like that Borla exhaust? Is it real loud, or just right? And have you heard the ATAK system to compare it to by any chance?
I LOVE my S-type borla. I get compliments on it all the time (parking lots, random people at stop lights). I have not heard the ATAK system besides on a couple youtube videos and you cant judge it from that. On startup it gives a nice growl and then settles to a nice but still quiet idle. Right at about 2-4k rpms is the sweet spot and makes this car sound like a true sports car.

I would definetly give it 2 thumbs up, but I might be somewhat bias
Old 01-07-2011, 08:17 PM
makeitblack

Originally Posted by Socal6r

Nick

I condone it to

Nice kill, i ran a earlier Gt also, with same results... haven't raced from a dig yet, but there lower RPM peak power should edge us off
Old 01-07-2011, 09:23 PM
Tex-stang
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like a great night to me.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:57 PM
Bokeo
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by makeitblack
I condone it to

Nice kill, i ran a earlier Gt also, with same results... haven't raced from a dig yet, but there lower RPM peak power should edge us off
Nice! Yes from a dig they should edge us out (provided they know how to drive)
Old 01-07-2011, 10:47 PM
Bokeo
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tex-stang
Sounds like a great night to me.
Yes it was, where in TX are you? Havnt seen many red ones around here.

Quick Reply: Great Night for my steed... (3.7) Long story