Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

Greddy Vs Stone

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 05:45 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Default Greddy Vs Stone

*UPDATE VIDS POSTED ON PAGE 2*

Finally!! Met Greddy down at the spot this afternoon and we got 4 good runs in. All went to 130 MPH.

Greddy's ride..'03 cobra- Ported Eaton/plenum, Ported throttle body, Bf 2.76, Bf Idlers, UPR xpipe, Steeda catback, SCT 93 tune, JLT nextgen intake, Kb bap, MAFia, pro-5.0 sts, afco H/E, FTBR irs bushing kit, Billetflow IRS brace

Stone's ride...01 Automatic SS, 3.73s, Full exhaust, GT-11 Cam, Milled LS2 heads, dyno tune, SLP Lid with ram air mod, ported TB, LCAs.

Both on street tires..

First run was a dig and it went pretty bad for both of us. I honked it off, Greddy had the camera man, I was alone. 3 honks and we both launch, he hooks pretty good while I spin terrible. I let off and my car instantly goes in to 2nd with him a good 1.5-2 cars out. i get back on it and then it goes back to 1st gear, but I managed to regain and creep back somehow, at which point Greddy's Cobra let out one hell of a backfire. Scared the **** outta me and him, lol. He let off and by the time I reacted, I was already past him, so I let out too. Then he gets back in it and we run it on up to 130 or so with me holding a 1.5 car lead. That whole race pretty much sucked..

2nd run..40 mph roll, camera man still in the Cobra, I honk. We both get a good launch and both hook on this one. It stays pretty close with me maybe a half car out until I shift into 3rd, which puts me in front a car. By 130 I was 1.5 cars ahead. The automatic was really making it happen for me.

3rd run..20 roll..camera man still with Greddy. I honk and we're off. I was holding 1st gear at 4500 RPMs and as soon as we take off my rear starts gently fishtailing back and forth, but it was controllable so I stayed in it. Greddy had my front bumper about mid way of his door. SS goes into 2nd still spinning, but grabbing pretty good and inching forward. By the top of my 2nd we were dead even. 3rd gear came around and shot me ahead far enough that the Cobras front bumper was now at my rear bumper. The SS continued to inch ahead to another 1-1.5 car lead. Very close race.

4th run, 40 roll, camera man jumps into the SS this time to help Greddy with the weight situation. This makes a big difference! Figured it would. So camera man jumps in with me, run up to 40, honk 3 times, and we're off. Both cars stay dead even, one car would inch ahead a foot or two, and then vice versa...this takes place from 40 mph all the way to +130 mph. Dead even. I honestly can't remember for sure who had their nose out front on that one due to adrenaline, but it was by far the closest run of the day. With just a driver in each car, the results should be about the same as the first 40 roll with the SS inching ahead.

What we both noticed (and Greddy's dyno sheet proves this) is that as soon as his car hits 5500 rpm, the power levels off where it should climb past 6000-6500. Our cars stayed pretty close until that point everyt ime. Soon as I got tached out and he hit 5500, I would pull pretty good. Not sure whats going on, but there are a few ideas that were discussed. At any rate, I feel positive that if his car were making power past 5500 like it should, that we would at least stay dead even.

There are vids of every run. 3 from inside the Cobra and one from in my car. The camera man is on his way back to MI from NC with Greddy, so its going to be awhile before we get to see them. Unless they get a room tonight and upload them later, IDK.

Some of the details may be a little off due to focusing on driving and not where Greddy was every second, but its pretty damn close. The vids will no doubt tell the story better!

Good runs, Greddy! It was nice meeting you guys and I had a good time. Appreciate you going out of your way to make this happen, man.

Last edited by Stone629; 07-23-2012 at 03:18 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:36 PM
89LX Coupe
4th Gear Member

Hell yes! !! It sucks cause me and 97not was so close tet sooo far away!!!! Lol but glad to gear yall got up and ran and it was a hell of a run! I cant eait to see the videos!
Old 07-22-2012, 06:53 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

Awesome runs! Cant wait for the videos! Is pretty cool when to Mfers can meet up and race. We need more of this. Now get your asses out to California!
Old 07-22-2012, 07:55 PM
S8ER01Z
6th Gear Member

Hotel Internet = not a chance.

We can wait, sounds like damn good time! Wish I could have been there.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:11 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Damn that sounds so close. I guess this confirms the Cobra is not running right after the port job. I would assume that if it was running right, he should pull slightly on your insanely fast Ellis.

Can't wait for the videos and thanks for making this happen guys, we're all the beneficiaries.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:37 PM
perfect.disguise
5th Gear Member

Sounds like the blower is the prob.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:46 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

I feel the same way. Thinking it was over ported and now once the intake manifold pressure is reaches a given psi, the rest is slipping back past the rotors. Not uncommon or hard to over do it when porting.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:50 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

I need some ****ing video STAT. ASAP. NAO.

That sucks about the blower/car's peak tapering off that early.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:56 PM
97tplsGT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 89LX Coupe
Hell yes! !! It sucks cause me and 97not was so close tet sooo far away!!!! Lol but glad to gear yall got up and ran and it was a hell of a run! I cant eait to see the videos!
Proof read fool!

What he meant to say was we were so close to getting there, but yet so far away! We made a run at it anyways.

Great runs guys! Ya'll were the main attraction for this whole thing, so Im glad ya'll made it happen! Cant wait for the vids!
Old 07-22-2012, 09:18 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Looks like its 2.2 used whipple time for Greddy.....and a dyno tune. Im dumbfounded by these results.....

Quick Reply: Greddy Vs Stone