Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

First time at the track.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:11 PM
2007StangV6
2nd Gear Member

Default First time at the track.

My friend invited me out to the local test and tune, so I decided to show up. What a rush, man. I can't wait to go back.

I'm not sure if any of these times are any good. I just did it for fun. All of my runs were on the right lane.

The first run was against my friend. He drives a 2012 Camaro SS. He was having axle problems, so that explains why I was beating him until the 1/8th.

Name:  zhtCHq4.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  9.6 KB

Second run, lined up. Thought I was going to run against a newer Trans Am, but he did a solo run. I went up against an older Mitsubishi Galant. They wrote my numbers down wrong, so that's why it says 4088 instead of 4188.

Name:  00OtFBl.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  14.9 KB

Third run, was the worst. Ran against a newer Silverado. He definitely had a turbo on it. Could hear it as he passed me. Haha. Something went wrong during my run though. For some reason my gas pedal got stuck to the ground. Don't know what caused it, but I need to look into it before I go again. It scared me cause it was still shifting and going. Had to shift into neutral, and it popped out. Put it back in there, and slowly crossed the line.

Name:  gPn0HNc.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  14.6 KB

All in all a good day. Nothing terrible happened. Nobody got hurt. And everyone had fun!
Old 03-22-2014, 08:38 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Not bad at all! Congrats on getting out there. Check your floor mat to see if your pedal is getting hung on it. Just go out to your car (obviously with it off) and see if you can replicate it.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:42 PM
2007StangV6
2nd Gear Member

After I pulled back into the parking area, I pulled the mat out. I tried to replicate it with the car off and me pressing the pedal down with my hand, but there was nothing that it could have gotten stuck on. I'm going with you and say it was the floor mat.

I wanted to run again, but there were still a lot of racers in the bracket going. Would have been another hour, so I just called it a day. Plenty of more test and tunes for me to go to!
Old 03-22-2014, 10:03 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Those are good times for a first timer.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:08 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

That pedal situation is scary. Good thing you were able to just shift to neutral.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:53 PM
2007StangV6
2nd Gear Member

Thanks guys! I had a lot of fun. I might go again next weekend, but if I don't, i'll head out the beginning of next month.

Originally Posted by 99GTvert
That pedal situation is scary. Good thing you were able to just shift to neutral.
I should have pulled off after the burnout. I knew something wasn't right. Pedal got stuck during the burnout, but I went with it anyway. Don't know what I would have done if I couldn't shift. Probably just turn the car off, and pump the brakes to a stop. Luckily, I didn't have to do that though.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:24 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

If your in the staging area and you notice something isn't right. Don't make the pass. Especially if there is another car running with you. Glad you had fun and be safe
Old 03-24-2014, 09:12 AM
buster
4th Gear Member

I was at a well known track in upper ohio and I refused to stage against a racer who tossed a beer can over the fence and climbed into his car. Like is being said, don't stage if there is anything wrong. It's your car, your insurance is on the starting line when you race and unless you are a cat, you only have one life. That is something you should remember. But have fun is the main thing. It's also a friendly competition, not a contact sport.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:50 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Congrats on getting out there, good runs.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:13 PM
2007StangV6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by buster
I was at a well known track in upper ohio and I refused to stage against a racer who tossed a beer can over the fence and climbed into his car. Like is being said, don't stage if there is anything wrong. It's your car, your insurance is on the starting line when you race and unless you are a cat, you only have one life. That is something you should remember. But have fun is the main thing. It's also a friendly competition, not a contact sport.
I wouldn't have raced against that guy either. Did nobody say anything to him? The track I went to is strict when it comes to alcohol. You are allowed to drink in only one section of the stands and in the parking lot, but that's it.

It was absolutely a mistake on my part. I shouldn't have ran. At the same time, i'm glad I knew what to do, and knew how to correct the problem without anyone getting injured. Granted, knowing what to do, and quitting the race all together are two different things.

The gas pedal sticking happened to me a long while back, and hasn't happened in the past 2-ish years. I figured at the staging area it was a one time thing, and it wouldn't happen down the track. Stupid mistake as I was clearly wrong. Next time, the floor mats are getting put in the trunk.

Originally Posted by 88 orangepeel notch
Congrats on getting out there, good runs.
Thank you! I'm going to do a little tune up on the car, and get back out there in a few weeks. Hopefully I'll be able to dip below 14.9. That's my goal atleast.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First time at the track.