Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

ET: Weight vs Spin?

Old 03-31-2014, 10:27 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

How about a set of dedicated strip tires that you swap at the track, a battery impact and jack and you'll be done in 5 min.

EDIT: I just reread this thread, I thought this was for the strip, but your talking about the street, I think.

Last edited by 88 orangepeel notch; 03-31-2014 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:23 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 88 orangepeel notch
How about a set of dedicated strip tires that you swap at the track, a battery impact and jack and you'll be done in 5 min.

EDIT: I just reread this thread, I thought this was for the strip, but your talking about the street, I think.
I am talking about the street. But thanks for the suggestion. Like I said, it's sort of a "which is better" ing general question.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:28 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Well being that your on the street I don't think you will ever find a happy spot unless u have cry wide tires. Weight makes sense so I guess play with it
Old 04-05-2014, 08:31 AM
bryan67
2nd Gear Member

used to live up in the mountains West of Colorado springs. (Divide.CO). Hate to say it you got the wrong car for that area. Yea my road was "DG" also plays havoc on your paint job. Since you dont goto the track. really nothing you can do except tune your suspension best you can. Not sure were your at but you do have a few tracks in the State. Bandimere,Pueblo,Grand junction, etc.. And out there most guys throw weight in the trunk for bad weather conditions not everyday driving. Put a decent tire on it and again tune your suspension will both be big help.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:35 AM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by outceltj
Well being that your on the street I don't think you will ever find a happy spot unless u have cry wide tires. Weight makes sense so I guess play with it
Thinking I might try a battery location first, then maybe a few other things.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:36 AM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bryan67
used to live up in the mountains West of Colorado springs. (Divide.CO). Hate to say it you got the wrong car for that area. Yea my road was "DG" also plays havoc on your paint job. Since you dont goto the track. really nothing you can do except tune your suspension best you can. Not sure were your at but you do have a few tracks in the State. Bandimere,Pueblo,Grand junction, etc.. And out there most guys throw weight in the trunk for bad weather conditions not everyday driving. Put a decent tire on it and again tune your suspension will both be big help.
I live in the desert out east. Probably only a few slick and icy days a year. So I'm not really concerned about winter driving. I'm looking more at spinning going I to second and third vs. weight vs, traction.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:40 AM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

And I'm running Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 tires. A 285/40/18 in he back. These tires have a fantastic ride and little road noise. As far as grip goes, they are comparable to the BFG G force that I had before. I like an all season tire because of Colorado's weather/mood swings.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:21 AM
bryan67
2nd Gear Member

dont think any tire or weight going to help with traction on the roads. Even paved roads 90% of the time have alot of dust and grit on them cause of all the unpaved roads. But any type of HP to it tires gonna spin. Run a drag bike also was sponsored by local bike shop in the springs. Remember the service manager telling me a story how they sold 60 plus bikes in April (this is few years) almost 40 of them were totaled out with 90 days do to accidents. Road my street bike around some and hated it out there to many times would take a turn or come to a stop and bike would slide from the dust. best time to ride was right after a heavy rain. Do feel for ya.. Tough area to have a performance street vehicle.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:28 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

For traction limited dig racing, a little weight in the rear will help more than it hurts. But that is a generalization. It's more complicated than that.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:40 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
For traction limited dig racing, a little weight in the rear will help more than it hurts. But that is a generalization. It's more complicated than that.
Hah! Isn't it always more complicated than that?!

I guess I am starting to look at it like this: on he strip, trying to shave off one or two tenths, weight is very very important, but pulling up next to some punk at a red light, traction is paramount.