Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

ball joints and struts.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 09:22 PM
phoenixfriend84
1st Gear Member

Default ball joints and struts.

gotta get some new struts soon so i was wondering whats good. also need some ball joints. im looking to replace what ive got but also not break the bank. i also want to upgrade to a tubular k member and a arms with coilovers. are there any struts i can get that will support coil overs later?
Old 04-18-2012, 08:44 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Yes... there are struts that can support CO's later and you will be happy later that you are considering your options now My "go-to" question, when reading a post like this is my old stany-by...

What are the ULTIMATE goals for your ride?

Depending on your needs, purchasing the right "K" member is important. Most are geared toward 1/4 mile stuff and not the best for harder cornering. Your ULTIMATE goals, must dictate the direction you go here, so you don't purchase parts that don't serve you to this end.

Jazzer
Old 04-18-2012, 12:39 PM
phoenixfriend84
1st Gear Member

end goal? good all around street car. would like to do an autox event once in a while. but drag racing is always fun. but mostly just a daily driver that i can enjoy for whatever type of racing i want. i know it wont be the most competitive without a more complete direction. one of those you cant be the best at everything deals. just something well rounded.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:48 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

OK... fair enough

My recommendations for such as car as described, are the following:

1. FLSFC's ~ They will stiffen up the frame, improve cornering, launching and help to reduce door mis-alignment issues over time.
2. LCA's ~ Less flex (pretty much zero!) than OEM arms and improves rear-alxe function, so long as they are "Jazzer approved"
3. Decision time...

Going beyond this, really should have a more specific direction, as springs/dampers would be next, IMO. If you are CERTAIN that your focus will not shift to much more aggressive cornering or quartering, and assuming you want the car lowered, this is where I would go. I will always recommend CC plates with a drop and might even recommend them anyway, particularly if you are into the twisties.

What say you?

Jazzer
Old 04-19-2012, 09:21 AM
phoenixfriend84
1st Gear Member

I say flscs are already in the works. CC plates are in the works as I have to replace one of the stickers already. I want to do a side exit exhuast so not too low. Don't wanna be replacing exhuast pipe from scrubbing speed bumps. Not to aggressive into any one autosport. I like to drag race but also love to feel the force from some good cornering. Ideally if I hit a back road and a BMW or better handling.g vehicle wanted to play I would want to know I could hang. Maybe not beat him in the corners but be competitive. Right now I need to replace the ball joints and a strut as its bent. So I'm gonna sticker the reacement strut and am looking to upgrade the ball joints.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:38 PM
phoenixfriend84
1st Gear Member

So they body guy missed some stuff when I had him look over the car. I have a bent k frame and strut. I've also got to replace a ball joint strut mounting plate tie rod rack bushing and the u joint in the steering shaft. That's what I found out when I went to get my alignment Tuesday. So for now untilled I get the funds together for what I want I'm going junkyarding. What do you like for ball joints on a stock hieght gt and what rack bushings do you like. The highest qaulity looking ones to me seem to be these ones here http://www.americanmuscle.com/stx2bajokit.html will they work for me or is there something better and cheaper perhaps?
Old 04-21-2012, 05:52 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Couple things here...

You are not going to be competative with a BMW without some pretty serious changes to your suspension. CO's would be a start, but the pre-S197 4-link suspension out back is gonna be an issue with most cars European.

My recommendation to you is look real serious into a MM Grip Box, based on your needs here. You need a new "K" and silly to install an OEM one, when you have aspirations for improved lateral grip. If you want to be competative (keeping it on a closed course, of course!), this is a very convenient way to go. You can contact MM and talk to a tech about your driving needs and can have the system tailored to your needs.

This may be more than you are looking to spend, but if your ULTIMATE goal is to hang with European rides on the twisties and you need several things in these kits anyway, spend your money wisely.

Jazzer
Old 04-21-2012, 10:28 AM
phoenixfriend84
1st Gear Member

Yes those are my eventual goals. But it will be sometime before I get there. As I don't have the cash right now for a new k I have to go stock. Got to reside my house and put on a new roof next year. For now I need to get an alignment so I just need to replace my bent k with a straight one. I've read your suspension guide and it was great. Even read your brake guide. Tis why I value your opinion. What say you on ball joints?
Old 04-24-2012, 07:23 PM
phoenixfriend84
1st Gear Member

ok so it seems to me from research that a quality ball joint is a quality ball joint.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:20 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

OK.... couple ways you can go about this to help you acheive your ULTIMATE goal, yet not break the bank. My recommendation is to find a suspension package that meets your ULTIMATE goals and built/install it just a part or two at a time. This will cost more money in the long run, but likely much less money replacing parts you "had" to get in the short run

If you really want lateral grip, I would not recommend stopping short of what the MM Max Grip Box will provide! Now, this is a whole system of parts designed to work together, but some of them can be purchased/installed individually to be easier on the wallet. This is certainly not the ideal way to go, but save you some money and trouble in the long run.

You need a new "K" and struts, correct? Speak with an MM tech by phone and find the best kit for you, via your ULTIMATE goals. Ask the best way to "build" this kit to spread out the cost. I see no reason you cannot purchase just these parts and get you going in the right direction. Over time and based on what you two decide is the best way to go, buy some additional parts, when funds allow. At one point, you are looking at about an $800 purchase to rid yourself your biggest obstical between you and that BMW ahead of you (you're not racing him, mind you... just that gap between you and it's cornering prowess)

What say you?

Jazzer

Quick Reply: ball joints and struts.