Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

Eibach Adjustable Rear Bar problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 10:33 PM
Danno-23

Default Eibach Adjustable Rear Bar problem

Installed Eibach front and rear adjustable sway bars tonight.
With the rear bar, I am having problems with the rear links.
Kit suggests use their hardware. I like the factory nut that came on my car, with the square plating around the outside of it. Are these no good? I just figured they would have a better clamp on the bracket.

But to the important issue, the bushing inside those aluminum links where it mouts to the upper side of the rear body; they look too skinny, and do not "fill" the metal bracket they fit inside. There is definitely a 2mm or greater gap between the bushing and the bracket. When tightening the bolts on them, it looks like it is bending the metal inwards before it even puts any clamping force on the bushing. Is this normal? They are to be torqued to 80 ft*lbs, but its not feeling like I should tighten them past 20.
Anybody have experience with these ?

Last edited by Danno-23; 03-29-2013 at 10:42 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:51 AM
jtgerik

are you talking about the rear end links? I have the Eibach Pro system plus on my 06.. which has the same rear bar... I had no fitment issues... Pictures would be awesome. help figure it out.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:07 AM
Danno-23

Here are some pictures. Hopefully we can see what is going on.

Picture 1: Unclamped, you can see on the left side between the metal and the bushing, there is a thick area of black where the bushing does not contact. This is mostly grease/grime/undercoat.
Name:  2013-03-30113441_zps5adf5453.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  120.6 KB

Picture 2: Installing bolt, and tightening down. You can see it bending the mount bracket. As you tighten, you feel it not quite ever firming up. Then you start to hear the metal bending and stretching or whatever it is doing.
Name:  2013-03-30112957_zps95aa7172.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  42.6 KB

Picture 3: Same thing on the left side
Name:  2013-03-30113029_zps0f19c990.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  112.1 KB

Someone with the Eibach kit, show me your under side!
I'm worried I will have to add a bushing spacer, or a small sheet of metal to space it out to prevent the bracket from collapsing.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:31 PM
Danno-23

Back out to the garage, took some measurements / comparisons. Should have done this in the first place.
Turns out there are differences between the parts. Inside that red bushing is a metal sleeve that the bracket clamps to. The bushing is not to touch the bracket. After measuring, the factory sleeve was about 3/16ths of an inch longer than the Eibach. Pretty poor quality there. So for now, I added a washer inside the bracket to take up some of that space so the metal doesnt collapse as much.
I wonder if Eibach will send me some end links with proper dimensions.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:43 PM
jtgerik

I'm wondering if you didn't get a mislabeled kit or something.. mine were snug fit.. Did you have something other that stock in there previously? like some other aftermarket? if you're going to run it.. I would definitely space it out correctly with some washers on both sides to prevent binding/play on the bushing, and contact eibach immediately. I'd snap you some pics of mine but it's currently disassembled for a new rear end I'm putting in it.. when it's all back together I can.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:56 PM
Danno-23

Picked up some calipers today. Not sure why I never had any...
Got a chance to call Eibach too. Was told there had been some issues with noise on their bars at one time, so there was a part modification at some point.
My car has been stock its entire life. I would be surprised if anyone was allowed to fart in it before I purchased it.
Here are some of my measurements.

1- Showing the factory bushing inner sleeve measurement on the old swaybar endlinks.
Name:  Img1-Factorysleeve150inches_zps33155d1f.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  44.4 KB

2- Showing the Eibach inner sleeve measurement.
Name:  Img2-EibachSleeve141inches_zps457643ff.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  105.1 KB

3- Showing the mounting tabs measurement.
Name:  Img3-Bodysidemount151inches_zps5409c018.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  114.9 KB

Currently waiting for a reply from service. In the meantime, there is a washer installed between the bushing sleeve, and the mount bracket.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:05 AM
Danno-23

Heard back from Eibach's customer service.
Was told that they contacted Energy -- Energy makes the bushings for their Eibach kits.
Apparently "the part conforms to standard, use as is".
This is the best they can do? Did they even measure other parts in their stock? Looks like I'll have to go get a bushing sleeve machined myself.
Was hesitant to buy Eibach product (after their rear springs would eventually suffer from excessive droop on the Contour), and was leaning towards Hotchkis, but a bunch of you guys said Hotchkis was "overkill".
However Eibach took my VIN and told me, if anything comes up for this kit they will contact me... I won't be hanging around.

Is there ANYONE on here with an Eibach adjustable rear bar????
Old 04-13-2013, 11:44 PM
MustangInTexas
2nd Gear Member

Putin' some on my car tomorrow. Front and back adjustable. I'll be sure to check these bushings.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:37 PM
MustangInTexas
2nd Gear Member

OK, I installed mine today and saw the same thing you did. I just tightened everything down. It bent the bracket a little but seems to be OK. It's a shame that Eibach couldn't get it measured correctly though. With that and Eibach sending me the wrong bars in the first place, I'm thinking that next time I'll look elsewhere for parts.

Sure does corner flatter though. Doesn't dive into the corner. Seems to be a bit looser, which is preferable to too tight.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:05 PM
Danno-23

Didn't happen to take measurements? I'm sure its the 1.4 inches anyway, if its bending the brackets the same as mine.
I personally don't like the idea of deforming stock metal, because I don't know if its stretching, or weakening itself along the way. And after reading of multiple cases of installing larger diameter swaybars causing broken swaybar mount tabs on many cars for random like SVT Contours, E36 BMWs and I'm sure you'll find many more; I don't want to take any chances with the mounts on my Mustang.
For now, I have a washer installed until I find the time to press the sleeve out and get a longer one made up.

Definitely improves the feel and response of the car though. Sort of wishing I had of started with just a swaybar upgrade, instead of nearly the whole suspension.

Like you said, I cannot see myself purchasing Eibach anything in the future. Hesitant to even use the sticker that came with the bars.

Quick Reply: Eibach Adjustable Rear Bar problem