Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

Funny 'rocking' feeling

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 09:52 PM
zibodiz

Default Funny 'rocking' feeling

I just traded my civic for a '00 Mustang that needs some work. One of the things it needs I'm kinda insure how to diagnose, and I was hoping someone would know what to check to figure out what I need to replace. When you hit the accelerator (even slightly), the whole car 'leans back' and a little to the left. When you hit the brakes or let off the gas, the tips forward and leans to the right. It's significant enough that the whole car starts to drift in whichever direction it's tipping. It also has an 'uneasy' feeling in the passenger rear of the car. This is my first car this beg (I've had several trucks, but usually I drive little Japanese things), so some of this may just be the big American car feeling, but it definitely is 'twisting' to the left when I accelerate, and to the right when I let off. I've looked under the car and everything looks good. Any ideas?
Thanks!
Old 04-05-2013, 10:12 PM
zibodiz

Wow... too bad I didn't re-read that before clicking post. Talk about typos.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:36 AM
MiamiMustang

Could you distinguish it from a waggling car? You might wanna check the wheels as these could be the problem causing your car to rock.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:05 PM
zibodiz

Originally Posted by MiamiMustang
Could you distinguish it from a waggling car? You might wanna check the wheels as these could be the problem causing your car to rock.

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with that term, but I've visually inspected the wheels, and found nothing wrong. The tires are pretty worn, but I'm sure it's not tire/wheel related. The best comparison I could give would be riding in a motorboat. I'm suspecting the right-rear strut, but I don't know any way to test this theory. Any tips? Also, if it is a strut, do all 4 need to be replaced?
Sorry for a novice question, I'm a little new to any mechanics beyond standard engine stuff.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:58 PM
DirtyJersey

Have you looked under the car? Any shocks look soaking wet? Any rubber bushings look cracked?
Old 04-13-2013, 10:35 AM
Danno-23

Wow, nobody helpin you out here. Ill give it some input.
Probably not swaybars, cause youre moving in a straight line and having problems, but dont rule it out. Swaybars are very easy to check. Basically make sure your wheels are level, whole car, or one end at a time. Grab the bar and shake it, should be almost no movement, other than some squish in the bushing, and lift on your springs. Then grab the end links and do the same thing.

To me, it sounds like your shocks. Especially on a car that age. The dampers/valving are probably blown. You may not even see oil underneath from them if it was washed off, or undercoat hides the oil that was released.
Push down on the rear making it rock like a teeter-totter or see-saw whatever you call it. Time your pushes, so you have the car bouncing pretty good, then step away on your last push. It should pass center once, then stop. If it bounces up and down 2 or 3 times or more, definitely a shocks problem.
Do the same for the front. Usually harder to tell up front because of the increased spring rates, and heavier engine.
Or if you have lots of time just take the shocks/struts out, and see if the rods have any damping force to them at all, or if you can move the rod in and out freely with your hands.

Good Luck!
Old 07-12-2013, 06:46 PM
beeker

If the rearend "wags" side to side like a dogs rear then I would bet it is your upper and lower control arms. the stock rubber in them is probably worn out. You can either get a set of uerithane (sp) bushings or get an aftermarket set of arms.