Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

too much negative camber

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 07:08 PM
jcreynolds91

Default too much negative camber

So I lowered my mustang with Summit lowing springs in hope to increase handling. It did that and it gave me the obvious negative camber on the front end. My question is, what kind of effect is that going to give me mechanically wise? Also it seems like one side is further out than the other, what could cause that? I know the way to fix it is a strut alignment, but is there maybe another route I can go that's cheaper or something I can do at home with basic mechanic tools?
Old 08-09-2013, 09:39 PM
C. Love
1st Gear Member

If you google alignment you can find write ups that tell you how to measure everything. Its a giant pain in the butt though. Spend the 50-75 bucks and have it done
Old 08-10-2013, 06:47 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

You can move the strut, but chances are you'll need good quality CC plates to get the camber back in spec. If you don't, you'll eat up the inner edges of your front tires quickly.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:55 AM
C. Love
1st Gear Member

Camber doesnt kill tires that quick but a combo of bad camber and toe will. Like i said just apend the money and have it done
Old 08-11-2013, 10:35 AM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

To answer the camber question, get some camber bolts they will fix the negative camber. It's a cheap fix about 40 bucks or so, unless you want to go all in and get adjustable camber plates those get more pricey. However the bolts will do the same thing you just will not be able to adjust your camber on the fly, but if your not on the track its really not worth it just go with the bolts.

One tire sticking out more, that's most likely due to the stock panhard bar in the rear end not being acquitted enough to center the car back out over the frame. An aftermarket panhard like Steeda, Eibach, Whiteline will center the car back out where it's supposed to be. Just make sure you get an adjustable one they make it easier.

Also with lowering you can expect to be replacing shocks and struts fairly soon. The stock ones were not made to handle a lowered car so they are going to wear out pretty fast. Once they do your going to want to look at Eibach (cheaper end) or the legendary Koni Yellows.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:26 AM
Sartolw

Agreed, I had H&R ss springs for about a year with stock dampers. Ride was bad, stock dampers went fast. Tie rod ends Blown out, end links took some wear too. But i was autocross like that as well. Put koni's all the way around and man did it help. Just got new tie rod ends and steeda end links. Didn't do anything to fix camber and had tire wear. Went with camber bolts for now but going to need cc plates later for the cars track use.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:28 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Aren't those SR springs like a 1.5" drop? You shouldn't have much more than about 1.7° negative camber. That won't hurt anything if your toe angle is zeroed out. In fact, it'll actually add a little front grip, but you'll need to corner a little more aggressively to keep the front tires wearing even.

Also, you'll want to consider adding an adjustable panhard bar to center the rear axle after the drop.

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-p...rd-bar-05.html