Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

98 suspension problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 05:27 AM
14libras

Cool 98 suspension problem

I have a 98 base automatic convertible currently 110,000k purchased new in 98. No accidents and treated well. Regularly serviced including brakes, tires and alignment without ever needing major work or replacement parts on anything at all until 3 years ago (job loss). I’ve been able to continue oil changes and basic maintenance such as all fluids drained and replaced and car checked at 100,000k in 2011 @ Firestone. I wasn’t having any problems I just knew I hit a landmark and needed to evaluate basics and upkeep. I was told to focus on fuel system (now completely replaced), electrical stuff (mostly replaced), then motors (mostly replaced) then ball joints and engine and transmission checks. This was agreed upon with a 2nd trusted mechanic after his visual inspections (who unfortunately moved away). I’ve put roughly 10,000k on the car in the 2 years since this maintenance check.

A crunching noise started sometimes but not consistently when I turn or reverse within the last few months. I went to Firestone and had the suspension checked and specifically requested ball joint replacement info and estimates. I was told the suspension was fine for @ least another 20,000k and the noise was the power steering motor so I saved up and replaced that and the window and seat motors. Problem not solved and there has been absolutely no change at all in the steering of the car and it wasn't a problem before. Again the crunching is periodic but enough for me to know that it’s time to replace old parts and limit my driving further. I’m focused on the suspension again and today something broke. There was a loud crunch, the whole car stopped in its tracks, and a broken part was on the ground. The front right end is practically on the ground at an angle as well. I don’t know what it is but from all the messages and pictures I’ve looked at in this forum I believe it’s a LCA piece instead of a tire rod. The car won't be towed to me until tonight so I can't look at it to give anymore details.

I will clearly never go to Firestone again and I need advice on what parts I should expect to be buying the most cost effective way so I can start my research on pricing before a friend can look at it in 3 days. I’m a patient person but 3 days seems like 3 months right now and I need someplace to start. It does seem like the LCA is the 1st place to start but do I need a kit or anything else? Does lca include mounts or things like that and are shocks and struts different? I’ve looked at tire rods the ends strut mounts and those types of things based on what I’ve read in these forums. Is it worth it to buy a used part from ebay motors because of the age of the car or is that a dumb idea? I want to do as much as I can afford so I don't have to pay for more repairs and labor a month or so down the road. I’m really hoping this gets fixed in the next 2-3 weeks max and even sooner is of course best case scenario. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I wasn’t slacking on the suspension repairs. A few days after the motors were replaced 2 months ago a thief cut the top and busted out the back window in a way that using plastic wasn’t even an option and no driving if it rained. My deductible is $1000 so cost is my problem. Luckily its summer so I was still focused on getting suspension done until rain began ruining the floor boards and shorting out the windows and I was afraid the electrical system soon so I had to deal with it. It took me 2 months to save the $1300 to replace the top just 10 days ago! I’m a teacher that waits tables in the summer and weekends to pay student loans and back debts from the 2 years I was laid off. I can take the city bus to my school and walk maybe 20 minutes to my restaurant (which I did most of the summer anyway) to earn the $ to fix this but I’m at my wits end! I love my car that has been so good to me and have absolutely no intention of replacing it. I just want to keep fixing my baby Lucas until he’s done and I can someday buy another mustang.