Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

help!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 01:46 PM
p0ny
1st Gear Member

Default help!!!!!!!

Hi

I have a 2011 GT 5.0.

I hear a bump, clunk or pop sound when driving up a driveway at an angle. I will sometimes hear this noise when going over a small hump. This sound is coming from the rear and is on both sides of the vehicle.

I am the second owner of this vehicle. The first owner dropped the vehicle 1.5" all the way around. He removed the factory springs and installed Eibach sportline short springs. The factory shocks and struts were not replaced and still remain on the vehicle. (oh he also replaced the swaybar)

I have taken the vehicle to several performance shops and everyone has given me a different opinion of what they think the problem is. Part of the problem is no one could hear the clunk, bump or pop sound once up on the lift. Needless to say I am very, very frustrated.

I know it is next to impossible to tell me what the sound might be but I just don't know what to do or who to believe. I could spend a $1,000 and install Eibach shocks and struts to go with the springs that are already installed but what if that doesn't solve my problem?????? Is it uncommon when dropping a vehicle for the factory shocks and struts to be left on and just replace the springs?

I'm in Houston, TX Can anyone recommend a good mechanic that can properly diagnose and repair this problem?

Last edited by p0ny; 09-23-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:43 PM
p0ny
1st Gear Member

Nothing???
Old 09-23-2013, 05:12 PM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

Could be a multitude of different things, but without looking at the car it can be hard to diagnose the true issue. I've only had experience with that knocking noise that you are having, where my car was so low, that when the suspension rebounded (aka when it's at it's full length - opposite of fully compressed), the spring wouldn't be seated, and would bounce around in the spring perch. This sometimes happened when I go up a driveway at an angle, one would compress, the other side would decompress and would have the spring rattle.

This may not be the issue though because you have springs, so I would just go in there, make sure all the bolts are connected, and maybe if you can't figure it out bring it to a shop, or take some pictures so we can take a look around and see if we can find anything that stands out.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:06 AM
p0ny
1st Gear Member

Thanks. I've taken it to several shops already. Problem is when up on the lift can't duplicate the sound. Seems like all the weight of the vehicle needs to be in the wheels to get it to make the sound. Have several other shops to take it to. Hopefully someone can figure it out.