Suspension Ask all of your general suspension questions here!

Suspension questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 06:49 PM
GreenEyedGemini

Thanks!
Old 02-17-2014, 11:20 PM
GreenEyedGemini

Ok, I think I am going to go with Koni Yellows and BMR lowering springs to start. Then next order will be UCA, LCA, Panhard bar, and front and rear sway bars.
Question though, should I get castor/camber plates or not?
Old 02-20-2014, 07:31 PM
GreenEyedGemini

I have to say my head hurts from reading researching and trying to decide. Ive had people tell me that adjustable dampers are pretty pointless unless I am knowledgeable about them. To go into a little more detail on my goals for the car. This car is my daily driver. My goal for the supercharger is a couple years down the road. I want this car to look tough, handle great as it is my daily, but still be able to hug corners and come out of curves tightly. I live in rural illinois so the roads can be somewhat bumpy so ride is pretty important. I don't want to feel like I am in a log wagon. Ive had a few people recommend the Steeda proaction shocks/struts and ultralight springs but the reviews i've found on them are few and far between. So in reality are adjustable shocks going to be a waste of money since I really don't know much about "dialing" them in? Any experience with the Bilstein HDs? Or the Bilstein B12 kit?
Old 02-21-2014, 07:02 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Shocks, Struts, and springs should be compatible, but the concept of everything being "tuned" to work together is a bit of a scam.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:50 PM
GreenEyedGemini

Ok I went ahead and ordered the steeda stage 3 mustang handling pack and the steeda HD upper strut mounts. Im ordering upper and lower control arms and a panhard bar and brace next once their support staff emails me back. Then I will be getting a bmr k member. Hopefully thats off to a good start. Gotta get some new tires as soon as the suspension is installed.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:44 AM
427Roush
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dlazrael
I went with Steeda Pro-Action Shocks/Struts, however you can get adjustable Tokico for $200 more, Steeda Front and Rear Adj sway bars, Steeda Chromoly LCA and "lowered" UCA, Steeda Sportline Springs - its an entirely new car... and I think all that was under the $1500 mark, maybe a little over.
I'm getting a Fays2 Watts soon and suspension is done....
Just read your post. Check the classifieds on this forum, as I'm selling my Fays 2 watts link. My sponsorship with Cortex was approved and I'm now running their torque arm and watts link set up for track days.
The ad says local pick-up but am willing to ship. (The price is negotiable).
Old 02-24-2014, 11:47 AM
427Roush
1st Gear Member

JMO GreenEyedGemini, when you put your supercharger on, please upgrade the brakes. Even if it's as simple as pads, rotors, steel lines and high temp fluid. Of course a big brake kit and cooling ducts is nice but expensive and not necessary unless track driving.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:57 PM
GreenEyedGemini

Thanks! I will definitely be upgrading the brakes before the SC goes on.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:52 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by GreenEyedGemini
Ok I went ahead and ordered the steeda stage 3 mustang handling pack and the steeda HD upper strut mounts. Im ordering upper and lower control arms and a panhard bar and brace next once their support staff emails me back. Then I will be getting a bmr k member. Hopefully thats off to a good start. Gotta get some new tires as soon as the suspension is installed.
If you are getting a watts system don't waste the money on a panhard bard. The watts will replace it.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:09 PM
jRaskell
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GreenEyedGemini
Ive had people tell me that adjustable dampers are pretty pointless unless I am knowledgeable about them.
From the perspective of dialing in absolute peak handling performance, that's certainly a fairly valid statement. That being said, if you dial the shocks full soft, drive the car for a bit, mixing some spirited driving with rough roads, then dial the shocks full firm and do the same thing, you WILL feel a difference.

At that point, you are fully capable of dialing the shocks to the point you most prefer. If you aren't looking for peak performance, then it really doesn't matter whether those settings are optimal or not. And the bottom line is those Konis at any setting are better shocks than any of the factory pieces.