SVO Forum

getting an 86 svo into the 13s zone.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 08:31 PM
TRBOPWR
4th Gear Member

Getting a V8 past the 13's isn't exactly a huge accomplishment. It takes more than exhaust and some boost to go 13's in these cars, but that is a very good first step. Drag radials help immensely.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:15 PM
ajs88

ok ok so I have full suspension, and a lot of supporting modifications and am finishing installing a fresh 88 tc block this weekend. I have an a/c removal, adjustable boost controller, adjustable fuel regulator, turbocoupe intercooler and aftermarket exhaust. I have my timing at 10* ( spout out) since that is what fmcdealer told me was base timing... What should my next step be? I want to get a launch controller and leave with full boost and some drag radials....any other reccomendations or ideas?
Old 10-22-2009, 11:16 PM
sleeper_inc
6th Gear Member

Get a good clutch
Old 10-22-2009, 11:37 PM
fast65
5th Gear Member

With these cars, do you have to go with a MegaSquirt system to get launch control? I know it comes as an option with one of Wilson Racing's kits.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:05 PM
TRBOPWR
4th Gear Member

I'm pretty sure you would need some sort of aftermarket computer control (MegaSquirt) to launch with boost. Plus, once you start that the axles and 7.5 are only going to take the abuse for so long before bailing on you. Your first move should be a FMIC of some sort, they help out immensely. I dropped ~.3 and added ~3mph at the strip with only an intercooler swap. You could bump the timing up 2-4*, port the hell out of intake/head/manifold, and an adjustable cam or cam swap.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:42 PM
Slow84SVO
1st Gear Member

get a die grinder(not dremel), spend 30 dollars in carbide cutting bits, 20 dollars in a felpro all cork/paper gasket set for a 2.3t and use the intake gaskets as templates. port out your lower to match that size for runners to head mating side. debur everything inside both plenums. also port match the lower to upper.

goto a pick and pull-get an npr intercooler. call kt a diesel radiator they wont know different. 30 bucks. spend 80 on an ic piping universal ebay kit. spend another 35 in an ebay manual boost controller. crank psi to 18. get a ranger roller too. if you arent 13s by then you have issues.

also you can look into a two step(ignition control) on summit. read up on it. you can set this up to "rev limit" to an ideal rpm to build boost while at the line.

the 2.3t block was a hi nickel content cast block. it ill handle a lot. the rods are the weak link. if you get over 350 horse you should invest in some forged rods. check out esslinger or racer walsh. you want 5.2" rods btw.

you can also knife edge the lower intake and gut/rotate the upper. but thats more complicated than easy backyard power. also i would hold off on trying to diy port the head if you dont know what you are doing. reading a few internet howtos wont properly teach you either. i have access to flowbenches and have ported a couple heads myself. trust me-send yours to boport or take it to a local reputable machinest if you are remotely unsure of yourself.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:50 PM
TRBOPWR
4th Gear Member

All very good info. Only thing I would consider is that a Ranger roller cam is not an improvement over the stock 86 slider unless it is completely worn out.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:10 PM
Slow84SVO
1st Gear Member

i was under the impression that the roller had a slightly more aggressive grind, which coupled with the dual plug head gave the bump from 88hp to the 100+ factory rating. regardless that and the ford motorsport dirt track cam arent exactly ideal for the boost. but it sure is an improvement over the factory slider.

i thought the 86-88 turbo slider only had a bit more lift.? i dont recal. i havent had an 86+ oem slider to spec to a pre 86.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:16 PM
TRBOPWR
4th Gear Member

I only know what I have read, the general consensus is that there really isn't much of an improvement. If I was gonna go to the trouble of swapping the cam, I would make sure it was a real strong upgrade.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:34 PM
Slow84SVO
1st Gear Member

Esslinger street strip turbo roller *cough cough* only 900$. but is just go for a complete svo alum head w that shaft for $2100. and chuck in their billet 2.6l stroker kit for another 2500. hello tens. add a 150 squeeze, a viper spec t56, gr40 sla front end and 4link rear w a fab9 ford dif on coilovers plus a minitub and a full cage. mmm.(my current upgrade list). i think it will be mean enough to stomp tthe local vette club. goal is 650ponies at the rollers. and 25mpg. already sat down w turbo maps and specced everything. come on lottery.

Quick Reply: getting an 86 svo into the 13s zone.