SVT Forums

Cobra Tire Bounce

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 02:40 PM
ac2000

Default Cobra Tire Bounce

I have a 2003 Cobra. A few times ive floored it and the tires have spun and bounced somewhat. Is it bad for the car if the tires bounce?
Old 05-13-2006, 02:41 PM
blank
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Cobra Tire Bounce

wheelp hop can rally mess up your rearend. do a search for wheel hop
Old 05-14-2006, 11:39 AM
JustforShow

I have a 99 cobra and I had the same problems. One reason for it is fords IRS, especially on earlier models such as mine, doesn’t work very effectively when large amounts of power are transferred to the wheels. I noticed from personal experience it would be worse when I was on uneven ground or even shifting while coming around a bend.

I ended up taking out my IRS and putting in a solid rear axel. It was recommended that I install a better suspension package as well, but since I added the solid axel I haven’t had wheel hop since.

To answer your question though, yes wheel hop is bad.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:54 AM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

***, you'd think that ford could design a suspension to at least match the stock engine the car comes with...
Old 05-14-2006, 02:01 PM
JustforShow

I personally think ford should do away with IRS unless they can get it right. I love my mustang but, come on ford. As much as it hurts to say it but chevy can do it in there damn vet, ford has no reason why they cant do it.
Old 05-14-2006, 02:23 PM
CobraSnake
5th Gear Member

ford did do away with IRS on the new 07 shelby. That i believe comes with a solid axle already. But seriously if you feel that wheel hop again get off the gas because if you try to push your way out of it you will just blow your rear end. Go out and get a strut tower brace or switch it to a solid axle. There is lots of ways to build up the IRS without having to take it out.
Old 05-14-2006, 03:50 PM
RR03Cobra
1st Gear Member

Wheel hop can damage your entire rear end! If you feel it hop, get out of it! I have seen it cause leaks around the gear cover too. You can reduce the amount of wheel hop with a good set of sticky tires. When I swapped out my rear tires for a set of Nitto 555R drag radials, it reduced the hopping alot. I have heard from other 03 owners, that better springs and Strange adjustable shocks will also help tremendously.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:04 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

you can swap in a solid rear axle IIRC
Old 05-14-2006, 10:10 PM
mg01svt
1st Gear Member

Depending on your plans for the vehicle here are some items to aid in the battle against wheelhop.

From another thread:

Level 5 halfshafts - $1500

PHP's upgraded toe link bars - $410

Billetflow Diff cover Brace - $150

Upgraded IRS bushings - depends on what you choose - delrin, alum, poly

Differential bushings - again material choice

Upper and lower control arm bushings - material choice.

Sub frame connectors.

A damn soft tire - DR's MT's, BFG's, or slicks

Some of these items are EXTREME and greatly affect ride comfort so do some research.

I would definitely start off with a good tire. Caveat, dont expect much life from a soft DR if you drive the car everday and have a love for the loud pedal.

Aaron
Old 05-18-2006, 12:38 AM
whitevenom99
1st Gear Member

I still have the irs in my car and got wheel hop problems. I know that it can blow out your rear end. I recomend the steeda irs brace. Takes a couple of hours to put it in, and it is like 175 or so I think. I got mine last year. It was the first thing I did to my car. I met a guy at a show with a 04 pushing 1000 HP at the wheels on the factory irs and he said he didn't have a problem with it holding it. he just had to watch the wheel hop. Said he had a problem with shearin off whell studs on the right rear wheel though. Wish I had that problem .

Quick Reply: Cobra Tire Bounce