SVT Forums

can a 99 cobra be supercharged?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 10:42 PM
tenmiledaddy
1st Gear Member

Default can a 99 cobra be supercharged?

I talked to a man who is supposed to be knowledable on mustangs and he told me that if I put a eaton supercharger off of a 03 cobra onto my 99 cobra, I would risk blowing a piston in a couple or three weeks, that the compression is too high on the 99 cobra and the pistons and rods couldn't handle it, even at 6 or 8 lbs of boost. Is this true? Please be very very honest. I have already bought a supercharger with lower intake, intercooler, coil packs, injectors, bottom pulley and plenum and throttle body. I am not going to risk ruining my engine. It has only 51000 miles and I will put bolt ons and keep it naturally aspirated to achieve what I can. Any suggestions? Thanks........
Old 06-02-2006, 10:47 PM
93BlackNotch
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: can a 99 cobra be supercharged?

You can if you give the car a SAFE tune... You won't be able to run alot of boost, but it can be done... I know you already have some of the parts, but if I was you, I'd save up for a Vortech, Paxton, or Pro Charger... You will have much better results, the stock Eatons aren't very efficient... Good luck
Old 06-03-2006, 12:08 AM
V8Cody
3rd Gear Member

Can't joke around apparently!
Old 06-03-2006, 12:53 AM
tenmiledaddy
1st Gear Member

How does a Kenny Belle or Whipple change the fact that my motor is not supposed to handle forced induction, whether it's a KB, Whipple, eaton, or whatever kind there is out there? Forced induction is what I'm worried about. Let's address that issue. Thanks a Lot.........
Old 06-03-2006, 01:20 AM
V8Cody
3rd Gear Member

I fixed my post just for you. Merry Christmas.
Old 06-03-2006, 07:02 AM
Mt Twigbert
4th Gear Member

I've been researching this too.. From all the information I can gather 99 Cobras can be supercharged with no problem.. Its my understanding that a safe point to stop at is 400 RWHP.. I've heard stories of people running 500 RWHP and having no problems so 400 should be fairly safe..

I also researched using a Eaton S/C off of a 03/04 but it would take too much moding to get it to work.. The 99s have a different set up, our alternators are up at the top of the motor and would have to be relocated along with other parts to make the Eaton work.. Thus, any money you save on getting a used Eaton would probably be spent on moding the engine to make it work..

I plan on going with a Procharger.. Its designed to work with the 99 and you know all the brackets will make it fit perfect.. I'm probably going to go with 6 lb. of boost to start with and see what kind of RWHP I get.. If its a bit low I will change to a 8 lb. pulley.. I'm stopping at no more than 420 RWHP.. Thats plenty enough to wipe a stock 03/04 Cobra or even one that has even the basic mods like an exhaust.. I'm pretty sure 03/04s put out 360-370 RWHP stock..
Old 06-04-2006, 10:49 PM
RR03Cobra
1st Gear Member

The swap is very expensive to add an Eaton to a 99-01 cobra. The big difference in choosing an Eaton, Kenne Bell, Whipple (positive displacement blowers) vs. a Vortech, Paxton, or Procharger (centrifugal) is the onset off boost! With the PDBs the boost is instantaneous with the throttle and you will have a high level flat torque curve at a lower RPM. These blowers are very hard on the motor because of the instant boost. The centri. on the other hand have a sort of lag. The power and torque builds with the rpms. This is also safer on the drivetrain and engine internals!
My workout buddy has a 99 cobra with an aftercooled Vortech SQ system. His car dynoed at 466 rwhp and 450 rwt. at 10 lbs! He has over 65,000 miles on the car with no problems! Just like the other members stated, the biggest factor in supercharging is the TUNE!! This one single factor can and will determine how long your engine will last!!
I agree that the centrifugals will be safer on your engine and drivetrain if you are keeping it stock!
Old 06-05-2006, 12:00 AM
tenmiledaddy
1st Gear Member

I want to really thank everyone who had some imput into my question. I have learned something, and expect to continue learning on this forum. 99 cobra convertible. (How sweet it is......)
Old 06-05-2006, 02:39 PM
Melectrok
2nd Gear Member

My I use this post to ask the same question, but about a 96. Will that setup work on a 96. And what is the safe limit for a 96?
Old 06-06-2006, 06:31 PM
yeayea0
2nd Gear Member

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...d.php?t=180943

Quick Reply: can a 99 cobra be supercharged?