SVT Forums

GOT MY 03 COBRA. WHERE TO START WITH THE MODS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 06:14 PM
brwafl

Default GOT MY 03 COBRA. WHERE TO START WITH THE MODS?

OK. NOW I'VE GOT MY COBRA. WHERE DO I START WITH THE MODS? I DO A COUPLE OF DE EVENTS A YEAR AT BARBER IN BIRMINGHAM, AL AND AM GOING TO ROAD ATLANTA IN THE FALL. I HAD CHANGED OUT ALMOST EVERY SUSPENSION PART ON MY 04 GT TO MAKE IT HANDLE BETTER. BUT I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHERE TO START ON THE COBRA. IT ALREADY SEEMS TO HANDLE PRETTY GOOD. BUT THAT IS ONLY ON STREET DRIVING. WHAT ABOUT HOW TO GET MORE HP ALSO? TELL ME WHERE TO START? DO YOU LOWER A COBRA, WHAT ABOUT SUBFRAME CONNECTORS? I DO KNOW THE COBRA HAS BELSTEIN SHOCKS AND STRUTS BUT OTHER THAN THAT HELP!!!!!!!!
Old 06-19-2006, 07:40 PM
FastLane034
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: GOT MY 03 COBRA. WHERE TO START WITH THE MODS?

Try typing in lower case first.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:06 PM
jugsreturn

I would get a pulley, lower the car, and get some big fat tires/wheels.

just my .02

--
JugsReturn
Old 06-19-2006, 10:09 PM
RR03Cobra
1st Gear Member

Congrats on your new ride! You can add a cold-air kit and exhaust without having to get tune.This should net you 400 or more rwhp. Yes, you can lower a cobra, as low as you want to go! I like the H&R springs for the cobras!! You can get the Race which will lower it about 1"-1.5", sports 1.5"-2" or super sports 2"-2.5". These springs will keep most of the ride quality. The lower you go, the stiffer the spring. As far as HP is concerned, an upper pulley/lower pulley combo is the best way to go. Once you change your upper pulley/ or lower crank pulley, YOU WILL need a tune by a reputable tuner! If not, you car can suffer major damage!! There are several knowledgeable people on here that can help steer ya in the right direction!
Old 06-20-2006, 01:55 PM
wangdoodle1740
1st Gear Member

I drag race my cobra, as well as autocross it and am looking to get into road racing it as well. Mine has the basic power mods, pulley, tune, xpipe and cb, cai, shifter. I also have engineered performance (used to be Kenny Brown) full length sub frames, jacking rails, front diff suport, rear dif cover, and rear shock tower brace. I also have been running NItto 555R2's on the back and Kumho Ecsta MX's on the front, great tires!

This is a good starting point for these cars, like you said they already handle great because of the irs. It just comes down to how crazy you want to get with it. For my driving level, I still can't find the limits of the combo I have now!

Hope this helps, I would also try to contact Engineered Performance as well, the owner Rich used to work with the company when it was still Kenny Brown so he knows his stuff.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:27 AM
Master
3rd Gear Member

IRS brace
pullies
intake
TB exhaust
tuner
fat tires
Old 06-25-2006, 11:47 PM
frondon
1st Gear Member

Congrats! I've been looking to get one for a while, and they keep getting harder to get? I thought that since the GT500 were coming out there would be many '03 - '04 for sale? But I have been seeing a lot of bad comments about them '07 GT500.

Could you tell me what kind of price range you paid for it? I have been looking for a while and they range from 25k - 36k

Thanks[&:]
Old 06-25-2006, 11:53 PM
angcobra
4th Gear Member

Congrats on the Cobra.
So you race at Barbers? I live only 7 miles from Barbers. Are you coming to the Big Mustang show there this Fall?
Old 06-26-2006, 12:58 PM
spray175
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: frondon

Congrats! I've been looking to get one for a while, and they keep getting harder to get? I thought that since the GT500 were coming out there would be many '03 - '04 for sale? But I have been seeing a lot of bad comments about them '07 GT500.

Could you tell me what kind of price range you paid for it? I have been looking for a while and they range from 25k - 36k

Thanks[&:]
Anything over 30 for a cobra is way to much. Look around more you will be able to find better deals. I bought mine with 3,000 miles on it for 25,500
Old 06-26-2006, 02:16 PM
brwafl

I found mine on Autotrader in Atlanta. I paid 22,000 including taxes and doc. fees. I couldn't believe that a dealership was selling this car for that price. Took a chance and drove the 5hrs. to Atlanta. The car is in immaculate condition. The only problem was the tires need replacing. The only mods on the car are K&N FIPK intake kit, jba exhaust headers and flowmaster mufflers. I bought the car drove it home and then found some papers in the glove box. It had the original owners # in it. I gave him a call. Found out his Dad had bought him the car new for a high school graduation gift. He was graduating college and was about to get married. He wasn't going to be able to afford the insurance and payment on his own. So he traded it for and Explorer. One owner car, absolutely perfect condition for $22,000. What a steal. He mailed me the dyno sheet 419 rwhp.

Quick Reply: GOT MY 03 COBRA. WHERE TO START WITH THE MODS?