SVT Forums

Bang for the buck performance?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 10:14 PM
Cobra Leon

Default Bang for the buck performance?!

Alright, here I go.
I have a bone stock 03 Cobra, I'm looking to get the most horsepower for the buck.
What are some performance parts that will give me excellent horsepower for the money?
I'm aiming for a bit over 500HP.
Thanks for your time. [8D]
Old 09-30-2006, 12:35 AM
Shifty Powers
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Bang for the buck performance?!

ummm best bang for buck could be some new gears.. but that doesnt gain u HP...

the question is how much $$$ are u looking at here? what do u have and what are u willing to spend?
Old 09-30-2006, 01:36 AM
CobraBob
2nd Gear Member

When you say 500 hp do you mean at the crank or the rear wheels. I'll assume you mean at the crank. Which would come out to about 440rwhp. For under $1,500. you can easily make that number.
Catback
Midpipe
2.93 upper pulley (or smaller; I like the 2.93/2.90)
One or more auxiliary idlers to prevent belt slip with the smaller pulley
Ported TB/Plenum (optional)
Tune

If you meant 500rwhp then you'll have to spend more. All of the above plus a 4 lb. lower crank pulley (or go with a 2.76 upper) and a ported blower. The cost of porting your blower depends on who you use (I recommend Stiegemeier) and if Stiegemeier, which Stage you choose.

Don't forget your supporting mods. It is not smart to simply want to make more power without giving thought to strengthening the drivetrain. Especially if you plan on racing the car.
Old 09-30-2006, 01:03 PM
Vette_driver

Nitrous Oxide is the cheapest thing but once the bottle is dry your out of luck
Old 09-30-2006, 02:11 PM
freewilly
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Cobra Leon

Alright, here I go.
I have a bone stock 03 Cobra, I'm looking to get the most horsepower for the buck.
What are some performance parts that will give me excellent horsepower for the money?
i got every mod you can possibly bolt on , except hedders ,even with ported eaton i just got dyno thusday, 490 wrhp with 576 tq. thats with 20 psi boost on pump gas, i'am willing to sell my ported eaton with 2 quick change pulleys 3.0 and a 2.75 and my 6 lb lower crank pulley set up. im thinking of going to a whipple, PM ME if interested? p/s i thought i was going to have 520rwhp i guessed wrong , but it pulls hard with that tq 576 at 3500 rpms.the most thay seen with an eaton.without n.o.s
Old 10-01-2006, 02:37 PM
Vette_driver

Well say if you had everything free ***** had + headers your making damn good power. How do you want that power to show. Low end torque and fast take off or loose that low end speed for upper RPM power. You really cant have the best of both worlds. You need to make a plan of what you want. You already have the goal set of how much you want. Now start working towards that goal but don't do it all at once and just some advice. Try a car with that power that your seeking. Because once you've put all your money into that car and you dont like it. Your out of luck. But if you test drove someone elses or did a quick NOS hookup you could get away without burning your wallet. Back to your goal. First find out everything you want. If you get a charger, cam, heads, ect. the cam and heads have to work well with each other so the heads arnt choking the cam and loosing power and that the charger is able to get the boost you want. JMO, also when you start getting up to a high power rate like that SOMETIMES but not all of the time stuff starts to break due to the extra strain your going to need to save up some cash in case stuff needs to be rebuilt, upgraded, worked on ect. Im not trying to be a jerk or boss, I just was just letting you know some stuff that has happened to friends when they go power crazy. lol Its not a bad thing but it is very addicting. Once you start modding it is very hard to stop. Best of luck....One more thing I dont know if this pertains to you but some of the best mods for cars is a GOOD tune up and high performance parts not just cheap/stock ones like at the jiffy lube. Cars got to be working 100 % before the mods start.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:16 PM
CobraBob
2nd Gear Member

i got every mod you can possibly bolt on , except hedders ,even with ported eaton i just got dyno thusday, 490 wrhp with 576 tq. thats with 20 psi boost on pump gas, i'am willing to sell my ported eaton with 2 quick change pulleys 3.0 and a 2.75 and my 6 lb lower crank pulley set up. im thinking of going to a whipple, PM ME if interested? p/s i thought i was going to have 520rwhp i guessed wrong , but it pulls hard with that tq 576 at 3500 rpms.the most thay seen with an eaton.without n.o.s
You're running a 2.76 upper with a 6 lb. lower. With a ported Eaton. Egads! You're getting about 2 lbs. more boost than average (18.0 is average), but that is seriously overdriving the Eaton. Why are you running that much boost with the Eaton (inefficient from 17 lbs. up due to its design)? You obviously are looking to make big power and monster torque. You're better off upgrading to a Whipple, Kenne Bell or twin turbo. A stock Eaton is spinning at 13,431 rpms at redline. With the 2.76/6 lb. combo you're now spinning it at 21,431 rpms at redline. You're only the second person since 2002 I've ever heard pushing 20 lbs. with an Eaton. I know you're planning on going with the Whipple but I'm just surprised you would try to run that much boost with the Eaton. How long have you been running 20 lbs. boost?
Old 10-01-2006, 11:52 PM
Blownsvt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: freewilly

ORIGINAL: Cobra Leon

Alright, here I go.
you have got to be missing something. a few guys i know around here ar getting around 530 to the wheels with ported eatons. not sure on exactly what all they have done but you should be able to get well into 500rwhp.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:55 AM
CobraBob
2nd Gear Member

Are you talking SAE or STD numbers? Most ported Eaton setups are running around 15-17 lbs. of boost and making 495-515rwhp (SAE). Stiegemier recommends a max of 16 lbs. of boost. More than than and the increased blower efficiency gained from porting wanes. Over 17 lbs. and the increased heat robs power. Law of diminishing returns applies here. I have seen very few over 520 (SAE). I believe the most I've seen posted on SVTPerformance.com is about 530. My ported Eaton setup made 15.5 lbs. of boost and made 504rwhp. That was with a 2.80 upper. Stock lower crank pulley. I did not want to exceed 16 lbs. of max boost.