SVT Forums

major oil leak.....plz help

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 06:10 PM
svt99redcobra
3rd Gear Member

Default major oil leak.....plz help

Ok all was well when i left for work yesterday morning. I go to lunch all is ok. I drive home, race a gto and win, all is still ok. Then i pull into my driveway. I notice a trail of oil indicating that my car leaked oil all the way through my subdivision, this was not on the way home, it was on the way to work. I followed it and i knew that it was from my car because i always split the speedbumps(one tire on each speed bump) the oil trail was right through the middle of the speedbumps. This is not a drip, it was like a stream. I walk back to my 99 cobra and open the hood and of course check the oil. It didnt even read on the dipstick. This sucks. I Go to advance auto and buy two courts of castrol syntec (drove in my 1991 gt with vortech supercharger). come back and put 1 1/2 quarts in and its fine. I crank it up and it doesnt leak a drop. I looked at the drain plut, it was tight, so was the oil filter and my girlfriend. Anyway i thought i would ask. I left it parked at home today and drove the 5.0. Man its fast but its a automatice (C4). Any suggestions.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:13 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Default RE: major oil leak.....plz help

did you actually get underneath the car to check where the leak is coming from? My guess is you won't/can't spot it from up top.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:21 PM
svt99redcobra
3rd Gear Member

yea i looked from underneath and i could see alot of oil up there but you cannot make out were it is coming from because it was not leaking then.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:28 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

'Up there' As in towards the top of the motor? Valve Covers, heads, ..how far up?

You could jack up (and support ) the front end, start it, and see if you can spot the leak. You could have blown a valve cover gasket if you just finished a race. If your PCV system is clogged or not working properly, it could cause the engine to build pressure and blow gaskets/seals out. Not like blow up, but cause leaks. Or they just may be worn out and the last race just pushed them over the edge.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:35 PM
svt99redcobra
3rd Gear Member

ok you didnt read my first post correctly. I raced after the oil leaked out. The oil was leaking the morning before i raced so i actually raced low on oil. I cranked up the engine jacked up the car and looked from under and above the engine and could not see any oil actually leaking out from a specific spot. Oil was all over the k member
Old 10-06-2006, 06:40 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Ooohhh..that could be problem If it's on the lower half I'm going to go with an Oil Pan leak or even a rear main seal. If it's towards the top, I'm guessing Valve cover gasket.

You may have to do a wipe down on the engine where you have oil right now, drive a bit and see if you can spot the leak without all the residual mess.

ORIGINAL: svt99redcobra

ok you didnt read my first post correctly. I raced after the oil leaked out. The oil was leaking the morning before i raced so i actually raced low on oil. I cranked up the engine jacked up the car and looked from under and above the engine and could not see any oil actually leaking out from a specific spot. Oil was all over the k member
Old 10-06-2006, 09:56 PM
svt99redcobra
3rd Gear Member

ok i figured out what it is. The car is so so low to the ground. I mean the exhaust is literatly about 3 inches off of the ground. The neck that the oil filter screws into has a hairpin hole in it. I mean if you have the car at idle, you can watch it like buble at first then it will start to make a drip, then you watch and it will drip like once every min. I guess that there was a piece of sludge or something that is semi clogging it up for now. Im taking the part off tomarrow, and my next door neihbor(i cannot spell) has a aluminum welder and he is going to weld it for me. The only thing i'm worried about is that the gasket needs to be replaced also.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:32 PM
svt99redcobra
3rd Gear Member

what is the name of the part that the oil filter screws into. I cannot find it anywhere on the web. LOL PLEASE HELP, Is it the oil pump
Old 10-09-2006, 01:59 PM
svt99redcobra
3rd Gear Member

ok it was the shaft that the oil filter scews onto. The same threaded shaft also holds on the oil cooler ( a very very bad design by ford because there is no thread lock on the shaft. When you unscrew your oil filter the shaft could come loose and unscrew, because thats what happened to me. The hole on the bottom. Its machined. ford drilled a hole because if the threads came loose and got past the o ring on the shaft the oil would have a place to go./