SVT Forums

Why should I buy a Cobra Terminator???

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 03:28 PM
bored out

Default Why should I buy a Cobra Terminator???

Hi all, love the site and all the stang info!!! This is my first post and I was hoping that you guys could answer a question for me. I am currently looking at used and upcoming muscle cars and I'm not sure what to buy. Here are my options...

1. 2008 Dodge Challenger
2. 2009 Chevy Camaro
3. 2009 Pontiac GTO???
4. 2008 Mustang GT/Shelby GT
5. 2008 Mustang Shelby GT500
6. 2003/2004 Mustang Cobra Terminator

The 03-04 Cobra was not even on my radar until I went to streetfire.com. I have seen many awesome videos of the Cobra smoking everything! I have been enamored with it ever since.

What i like about the Terminator...
-Stock Performance is amazing
-6 speed only
-Good quality build (Ford)
-Easily modable
-Good price, $25,000 would do the trick
-Eaton SCer
-The sound of that Supercharger winding up brings joy to my ears!

What I do not like...
-Car will be 3-4 years old, can only get a used model
-Like the exterior look but do not love it, I like the new gens better
-Interior seems a bit bland
-Interior looks small, I'm 6'4

I have never ridden in one but I hope to someday! With that being said, maybe you guys can tell me more about the Terminator and help me make this decision. I know they do not call it the Terminator for nothing, lol. I applaud Ford for creating a bad *** vehicle that takes the streets back from the imports!

Thanks,
Old 12-07-2006, 03:59 PM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Why should I buy a Cobra Terminator???

WOW...you got some money on tap, with that kind of money i would mod up a 2005 GT, drop a cobra engine in it and you'll be good...cause im sure a $25000+ $10000 = high hp...besides you would sell everything you took off (if anything)...but here are some highs and lows

highs
1) a lot of potential, forged internals and supercharger that requires no more than a pulley to net 500 hp
2) 6 speed that can take some abuse
3) The space may seem limited, but my friend is 6' 1" 250 lbs and drives a terminator daily
4) there are plenty of interior mods out there for that custom touch, but its not your cady interior
5) It may be used, but it still has a warrenty, and such performance on warrenty is hard to come by

lows
1) The body is was over 10 years old and has some weaknesses, the newer one has a lot more strength
2) that IRS is no good in the strait-aways but comfy as poo for daily driving/track
3) some people dont like the shifter location, which may/may not be a problem for a guy of your size
4) the eaton creates a lot of heat, and most people advise to switch to a KB or whipple

If it came down to me buying/not buying one...I would get one, just because it would make a great daily driver, recieves a lot of respect/looks and is lightly modable to make impressive numbers (one of the best potential cars out there), and once I got my fill of it (if ever) then i could make it a track car with no problem
Old 12-07-2006, 07:12 PM
CobraSnake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bored out

Hi all, love the site and all the stang info!!! This is my first post and I was hoping that you guys could answer a question for me. I am currently looking at used and upcoming muscle cars and I'm not sure what to buy. Here are my options...

1. 2008 Dodge Challenger
2. 2009 Chevy Camaro
3. 2009 Pontiac GTO???
4. 2008 Mustang GT/Shelby GT
5. 2008 Mustang Shelby GT500
6. 2003/2004 Mustang Cobra Terminator

The 03-04 Cobra was not even on my radar until I went to streetfire.com. I have seen many awesome videos of the Cobra smoking everything! I have been enamored with it ever since.

What i like about the Terminator...
-Stock Performance is amazing
-6 speed only
-Good quality build (Ford)
-Easily modable
-Good price, $25,000 would do the trick
-Eaton SCer
-The sound of that Supercharger winding up brings joy to my ears!

What I do not like...
-Car will be 3-4 years old, can only get a used model
-Like the exterior look but do not love it, I like the new gens better
-Interior seems a bit bland
-Interior looks small, I'm 6'4

I have never ridden in one but I hope to someday! With that being said, maybe you guys can tell me more about the Terminator and help me make this decision. I know they do not call it the Terminator for nothing, lol. I applaud Ford for creating a bad *** vehicle that takes the streets back from the imports!

Thanks,
where do you live??? Now even though its a used car. I could sell my term. for as much as i paided for it and i've had it for a year. The 03-04 cobras keep there value quite nicely.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:35 AM
beastzilla02
5th Gear Member

bcuz cobras are bad ***!
Old 12-08-2006, 12:45 AM
PSR
2nd Gear Member

Watch the video below that is why the car is still a street car. They are the best thing since in door pluming
Old 12-08-2006, 12:48 AM
Blownsvt
5th Gear Member

the cobra is a great car imo. It should suit you nicely being 6'4. i am 6' 1 and i can't haave the seat all the back or i can't get the clutch in far enough to make good shhifts. the car has pretty good handling and lots of power on tap. if i had the money though i would probaly go gt 500 they are just as easily modable and have about the same platform to start with. as far as the interior goes. maybe look into a 03 tenth aniversary edition they have a few extra touched to the interior. like colored door panels and some carbon fiber etc. i can show you some pics of the inside of mine if you want just let me know.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:38 PM
CobraSnake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PSR

Watch the video below that is why the car is still a street car. They are the best thing since in door pluming
what do you all have done????
Old 12-08-2006, 11:18 PM
beastzilla02
5th Gear Member

ya serious i watched that video the other day and im very curious what u have done to ur cobra ?
Old 12-09-2006, 03:08 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Why would it being used be a low? You'll have saved yourself thousands of dollars from the instant drop of value once you drive it off the dealers lot....

There are several great things about the car, they've all been mentioned before.

However, it has typical Ford issues. Loose feeling drivetrain, however it feels much better than it's stable mates like the GT/Mach. Tons of 03/04 owners experience TOB troubles, the infamous head tick with no real solution other than to replace the ticking head with a new claimed to be re-designed head that can also develop a tick. The IRS is known to break, wheel hop is an issue with just about every 03/04. The shifter location SUCKS. It's not a comfortable daily driver at all, hence why mine is a joy ride car only.

Currently, there is not a better bang for your buck car that the average joe can get his hands on and not have to rely on several people to get the car built & running properly. You won't have to worry about having the engine rebuilt, won't have to worry about getting the transmission built to handle the power, none of the typical things you'd have to go through to build any other car to support the HP that a Terminators drivetrain can handle. Quickly buy an IRS brace kit and you'll help give the IRS the stability it needs to handle the power & traction. The rear end is the only weak link in the car, but one simple kit can really go a long way into supporting 500+RWHP.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:01 AM
bored out

Thanks for the replys and the insight! Dan, it would only be a low because it would not be a new car off the lot. It would be used, owned by another and maybe beat on a bit. It is a definate positive that the price is better than new!

I have been to the forums everyday and continue to watch vids or look at more pics and am very impressed. I love the fact that there is a great stang community and many simple bolt on additions. I think that I could complete all bolt ons myself and could probably figure out how in a post somewhere in these forums.

Looking at pics, I have noticed that the shifter seems to be relatively far up in the cabin and the shifter isn't tilted towards the driver. It seems as if the driver would have to move the seat up to get in a comfortable shifting position, which would make driving daily a pain. The shifter also seems to be almost surrounded by an interior panel.

Thanks for the offer yellowcobra but if you terminator is a year older why would I pay you what you paid for it??? I would hand pick a terminator if I choose to buy one like many of you probably did.

Black hardtop seems to catch my eye, and I would probably search for a stock cobra so that I could do some simple add ons myself. I'm not a street racer but I don't usually back down from a challenge or the chance to remind ricers whos the boss.

My first mod would probably be rims and 17x10's on the back and a drop.

My noobie guess is that a cold air intake, 2.8 upper, h pipe and borla catback would get me around 425-435 hp??? Is this about right???

Quick Reply: Why should I buy a Cobra Terminator???