SVT Forums

first thread..02'-03' COBRA engine difference

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 12:13 AM
thefreerider12b

Default first thread..02'-03' COBRA engine difference

[sm=icon_rtfm.gif]

I need some help making a decision, I'm a soldier deployed to Iraq, currently I own a 97 mustang V-6 which I plan on donating to science when and if I get back home, I have(like im sure most of you all) an obsession with muscle cars and the Mustang above all.
Saving money is easy over here because there is nothing to buy and the Army actually pay you OK when they let people shoot at you. I was laying in my rack last night and I had an epiphany, I have been looking to buy a 03 - 04 Cobra when I get back, my plans were to put a Kenne Bell blower to replace the stock Eaton Unit and hopefully put out between 500 - 750 RWHP (depending which pully you have on the blower) some people might think thats too much power but I have a lot of pent up rage and frustration built up from driving an aneimic V-6 for a year and a half and losing to Honda Civics, then being sent to Korea for a year (hardship duty) then going to Iraq for another, Im not complaining, I voulenteered and I'm proud to serve my country. Anyways so I was thinking most of the Cobras I have been looking at have been between 25 and 30 grand with about 5 to 15 K on the odometer. Now, I know that the 03-04 Cobras engines can make up to 1000 hp without being modified and the IRS rear end gives out at about 650-700, Can the 01-02 Cobra engine internals support the same power? if not whats the difference, for 03 did they just take and 02 engine and slap an Eaton on it? the reason I ask is I can save a whole bunch of money buying a 01-02 then putting a Kenne Bell on it than buying an 03-04, taking the blower they have on there off and putting another one on. Besides the deep charcoal grey paint that they offered on the 02 and did'nt offer on the 03 I would love to have. So in closing I would greatly appreciate and carefully consider and advice or suggestions that I get from this, thanks
SGT Adam Harris
Old 10-06-2004, 12:21 AM
2001_SaleenS281_08
5th Gear Member

Default RE: first thread..02'-03' COBRA engine difference

the internals of the 03-04 cobra were set up for a blower, and to last with the blower i.e. Mahle forged internals. The 01-02 did not have these same internals. I am pretty sure you can just put the blower on, not positive though. just get the 01-02 with the saved money get forged internals and the Kenne Bell and kill the 03-04's
Old 10-06-2004, 12:22 AM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

The 03 Cobra has upgraded rods & pistons, and can handle much more boost than any other Mustang production engine. If your goal is some serious hp without spending 30k, then consider getting a built engine + power adder of choice done at a reputable shop. Much cheaper and you can get exactly what you want hp wise.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:10 AM
rtm
2nd Gear Member

I agree with the two above if your just wanting pure power.

Just get a different year and replace the engine or build it.

But if your wanting an 03-04 Cobra, go for it.

With less than $2K, you can be in the 550 RWHP range on these cars. That's the route I'm taking. That is also enough to beat the average modded Cobra you see on the street. That will be approaching the limits for what I think is streetable anyways.

Hell, I have never seen more than 3 other 03-04 Cobra's in my entire area. I know them all and none has a KB or Whipple upgrade. Just pulley changes and other bolt-ons.

It takes a lot of extra cash laying around to put an upgraded SC on these cars. The fuel system has to be revamped among other things.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:24 AM
callmecobra
5th Gear Member

the irs with slicks will brake real quickly with no mods at all...and so will the tranny...and the motor is a ticking time bomb in the 800rwhp range. so for a new tranny, built 8.8 solid axle, suspension work, wheels/tires, upgraded power adder, fuel work and tune, your looking prob at about 12 grand plus the cost of the car.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:49 AM
thefreerider12b

[sm=smiley20.gif][sm=smiley32.gif][sm=goodidea.gif]

Hey thanks for the help guys, yeah I'm considering what you all said and I think I'm gonna go ahead and just go with the 03, put headers, exhaust, pully, cold air, throttle body, fuel injectors, and try to lighten the car up a little...tubular K member, the thing is I want this car to be able to do more than just go fast in the 1/4. I figure I'll ditch the $7000 Kenne Bell and use that money for other stuff like suspension and brakes and maybe Cobra R front fascia and hood since I think thats the baddest looking mustang since the 69' mach 1. then I'm gonna take that P.O.S. V-6 of mine,sell it and spend every cent from it on wheels and tires, Saleen 18x9 and 10.5 rear and some nitto 555 rubber. going nuts thinkin about it. gotta a buddy of mine thats gonna get an SRT-4...he was gonna get a STI or something..talked him out of it, im trying to slowly covert him to muscle cars instead of bottomless money pit 4 bangers, turbo or not. well I appreciate all the help, you guys take it easy
SGT A. Harris
Old 10-08-2004, 03:10 AM
callmecobra
5th Gear Member

def dont get the y2k cobra r front end...the 03/04 cobra front ends are the best looking on any mustang ever. heres what i think you should do.
long tubes, off road mid pipe, magnaflow catback. pulley, intake, and tune. injectors and tb arent needed. tubular k member and control arms. kenny brown extreme matrix chassis stiffener kit. coil overs front and rear. rear 8.8 swap (aftermarket internals with 4:10 gears), billet alum rear control arms upper and lower. move battery to rear. and add some slicks and wheels for the track, you will be low in the 11s possible high 10s if you can drive well.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:16 AM
rtm
2nd Gear Member

Dude, is this car also going to be a daily driver? I agree with all the above except the 4:10 gears, and T/B. I have talked with a few that have switched over to the gears and they said that it was a little to much with the TQ their cars are putting down. The T/B's have been shown to be a decent mod for Cobras that have already been pullied with exhaust upgrades.

He's right about the IRS. I have heard of stock Cobra's snapping half-shafts, while others that were heavily modded have made many passes with no trouble. So it's kind of a chance you take.

As far as the engine goes, the biggest problem that I have heard of is these cars running an extreme amount of boost and actually melting the Teflon coating off of a/the pistons. Once that happened, it led to scoring up the cylinder wall. There is actuallly a cooling mod upgrade that is supposed to help this issue.

I have not seen/heard of any negative reports with the T-56, even with guys running a Whipple or Kenne Bell. Of course the clutch would have to be upgraded.

I plan on doing a mid-pipe, T/B, and eventually getting the Eaton ported. After that, some new springs, new IRS bushings, clutch when I have to, and different rubber when my tires go. That should be plenty for me, or so my wife tells me.

It's good to see you Nomo!

Todd
Old 10-08-2004, 01:27 PM
callmecobra
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rtm

It's good to see you Nomo!

Todd
yeah def man. howve you been? hows the cobra? ive been superbusy lately, not enough time for the forums these days.
Old 10-08-2004, 04:09 PM
rtm
2nd Gear Member

I have been okay. Thanks for asking. I'm really enjoying the car.

I'm starting to contemplate LT's like you originally said. I believe that they will allow me to make the same power that I am, but with less Boost. I'm sure the engine would like that.

I was wondering were you had been, but did not want to seem nosy.

Todd

Quick Reply: first thread..02'-03' COBRA engine difference