SVT Forums

how do you do your burnout?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 11:40 PM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

Default RE: how do you do your burnout?

it actually sits rather low to the ground, but its nothing like the bassani set up, its pretty much just an x-pipe and out the side...once i get my headers back from the shop and all done ill post pics of it, but im looking at running it over the subframes and through the body when i get the money saved up...it was only tested fitted a couple weeks ago, im finishing up the last bits of my collision repair
Old 01-30-2007, 12:12 AM
01vertcobra
1st Gear Member

Not really on the subject but id thought Id ask here instead of a creating a new post. Anyone know the best way to learn how to drift? [8D]
Old 01-30-2007, 12:21 AM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

a beater + a dirt field = . My friends bought a 93 miata we drift around a couple acres he's got out back, its fun...and it eliminates curb checks and other drifting blunders, and there's sites telling you how to do all this stuff that makes urealize the skill ofsome of these guys burning up tracks around here
Old 01-30-2007, 12:25 AM
01vertcobra
1st Gear Member

The only problem is that where I live its hard to find a dirt road [&:]but the miata idea sounds perfect
Old 01-30-2007, 03:08 AM
italia18
3rd Gear Member

ok heres the deal. I'm not a pro, but I'll tellyou some basics:

First and foremost, unless your doing a brake stand, YES you MUST shift in a burnout, or youll blow your engine sky high. Shift at 5500. 6 is pushing it. Try not to go there unless you have to or your racing. NEVER redline unless you know EXACTLY what your doing. I only put so much emphasis on this because 4.6's are expensive and a royal bitch to rebuild.

Theres two different types of "burnouts"
One is a brakestand. This is where you keep your foot on the brake and give it gas. The car stays put but causesa ton of tiresmoke.
The second is "peeling out". This is where you rev it up, and dump the clutch so the car takes off down the street, leaving some serious rubber trails.

To do a brakestand, you use the heel-toe technique, one side on gas (toe), the other on brake (heel), make sure the clutch is out ALL THE WAY or you'll grind your clutchplate into nothing.

Make sure you know exactly where your "slip point" is in your clutch. The better of a feel you have for it, the easier the burnout will be.

To do a burnout down a street (NOT a brakestand) just rev to about 4500-5000, dump the clutch (bring it up real fast) and give it more gas as you do, not alot, just more. You do NOT need to floor it. Unless your reaction time is fast, and I eman fast, if you floor it, youll blow your engine before you get out of first.
Most importantly, keep your eye on your tach at ALL times. Just to make sure your not overrevving, and so you know when to shift.

No burnout is quote on quote "good" for your car. If you do them alot, youll be replacing alot of clutchplates, and maybe even a tranny. Just good fun and decent for showing off.

Also doughnuts arel ike peeling out except you just turn the wheel instead of going staight.

Practice it first and dont go nuts. Good luck and have fun!
Old 01-30-2007, 10:58 AM
midnightsnake83
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 01vertcobra

Not really on the subject but id thought Id ask here instead of a creating a new post. Anyone know the best way to learn how to drift? [8D]
I practice on the weekends at work when it rains. I have a huge open parking lot, its dark, and its wet so I wont put alot of rubber down. I will also slide much easier. But the beater idea is the best. I accidently went around a corner on a road and hit a friends mailbox. It took my driver side sideskirt clean off and left a nice vertical crease in my door.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:55 PM
MuscleOwnzRice
4th Gear Member

procharger ftw, and everybody answered your original question. with a pro charger you can look to be at at least 420rwhp on a bone stock with the 8psi set up easy
Old 02-04-2007, 04:06 PM
snakebite007

what about changing gears in a burnout...like a 2nd gear burnout?
Old 02-05-2007, 02:15 PM
italia18
3rd Gear Member

if your launching off, obviously you start in first gear, keeping your foot on the gas you shift into second and it should still be burning rubber.

I've gotten it all the way to 4th before, but only once.

Also burnouts completely depend on the tire you have.. so if your running Nitto 555r's your not going to burn out, too much grip, and if you manage to, its stupid to because thats a soft compound tire so wasting all that rubber in a burnout is a damn waste of money.