SVT Forums

help with my 1998 Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 06:54 PM
ttOmadA

Default help with my 1998 Cobra

last march i bought a 1998 cobra and i have been wanting to lower it, strap on new exhaust, and do some internals, but i havent done anything because my dad is worried about it losing its value. as far as the lowering goes im not sure of the best way to do that because i heard of a right way and a wrong way and i dont know if i need to get all new struts shocks camber and springs, or if i can just get springs. in that case should i only purchase roush products or is it gonna matter. please help me out i need help and im on a limited budget being a working college student. thanks guys
Old 02-20-2007, 07:54 PM
JamesTronix
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: help with my 1998 Cobra

Just get some h and r race springs and leave the isolators in and you should be fine.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:46 PM
ttOmadA

i was just worried about the tires not wearing right and them not being in the correct angle, so even with a 2 inch drop u think that i'd be ok with just getting some springs from h and r
Old 02-20-2007, 08:53 PM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

dropping your car should not be too much of a problem. Isolators are fine as long as they're not severely damaged. For a 2" drop it wouldnt hurt you to get a pair of c/c plates so you can adjust geometry to avoid tire wear. Shocks and struts are also an optional supporting mod, but unless the ones you have now are going out, its not required. The mustang should handle any drop under 2" just fine. Ford C springs, H & R, and Eibach are all great choices
Old 02-20-2007, 09:29 PM
italia18
3rd Gear Member

I dropped my car using saleen springs 1.5" and I have no tire wear issues. All I used is the springs. I think you should be fine.

Also if your going to do anything to the car, just make sure 1, its reversable, and 2, you keep ALL the parts you replace. That way the car will still technicially hold is value because you own all the original parts. That way if you ever wanted to resell it, you can put all the original parts back on it, and it'll hold its resell value. Thats what I do.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:23 PM
ttOmadA

ok thanks, what about the exhaust though, what is gonna be the major difference in performance exhaust besides prices, i sont want to be slammin on some cheap exhaust just b/c of price, i want something that is reputable without a huge price tag, what are the major pros and cons of purchasing SLP, magnaflow, or borla
Old 02-20-2007, 10:42 PM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

the major difference is sound. Other small things like material and hp are small (unless your going full exhaust and not anything like a cat back or something). Here if you need some sound clips:

Borla
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fKH-sOq--c
bassani
http://www.svtoa-atlanta.org/videos/exhaust/BB/ES10.wmv
slp
http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...4b00128c51.htm
flowmaster
http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...058c5a7214.htm
mac
http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...20002ae1e3.htm
magnaflow
http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...8bdf53e867.htm

all 4v's...base it off the sound you want
Old 02-21-2007, 12:32 PM
italia18
3rd Gear Member

With exhaust you have several options, setups, and pricetags. Heres what I know..

First you've got your x pipe or H pipe. I'm running an H pipe on mine so far (subject to change). The difference between the x and H is the sound. H pipes give more of a lower growl, and x pipes generally have a very raw ripping sound. They both sound mean, its just preference on weither or not you want your car sounding like a street rod, or a semi drag car haha. They both sound great either way.

Secondly theres the type of system and catbacks you use. Different companies have different tones. For example Flowmasters (I have delta 40's) are a nice deep growl, the scream at 5,000 rpm, but they're not so loud you get pulled over for them (at least not me). The SLP Loudmouth 1 system, I'm convinced, is the loudest system you can get. They're raw, intense, rip, and roar. I'm going to eventually switch to them in the future. But they're sound is defentiely different, you loose some of that lower growl for a much more raw, throatier roar.

Alot of people love magnapacks on mustangs too.

I'd avoid borla, just because you really pay for the name with them. They sound good, but they're just too damn expensive.

Also to make your car REALLY roar, get headers too. I prefer longtubes, seeing as most exhaust systems will bolt up to them. I run MAC 5/8 longtubes on mine cobra.

Hope this was helpful. Check those videos above too^ Good post ponysnake99.

BTW dont run full exhaust unless you like burning valves.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:48 PM
ttOmadA

thanks man i was gonna ask about h pipes and x pipes, my first origninal thought was to go with the SLP loudmouth setup and im interested in headers too but for now im working on getting some money in the bank and then my springs, im hoping to have the exhaust done in the summer too
Old 02-21-2007, 02:58 PM
ttOmadA

in leu of sounding stupid, why would a full exhaust system burn valves????

Quick Reply: help with my 1998 Cobra