SVT Forums

Vert to Coupe swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 07:19 PM
midnightsnake83
2nd Gear Member

Default Vert to Coupe swap

Im currently in the process of swapping all major components of my snake into a hardtop body. The coupe isa V6 with no frame damage, but has no front clip or bumper. Ill be selling as much as I can from the coupe to make the swap that much easier on the wallet. I am asking for any FACTUAL concerns I should be aware of for this project. I do NOT want people telling me to do something because a friend of yours did it to his car or what kind of mufflers or headers to get. I'm looking for for hints, tips and tricks to make this an easy swap. Or if you would like to positively or negatively critisize the project, thats fine too. If you have done a swap like this, I am greatly looking forward to reading your replys. Thanks!
Old 03-15-2007, 10:09 PM
Blownsvt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Vert to Coupe swap

Never done anything like that before, but why are you doing it? wouldn't it be easier to just sell the cobra vert and then turn around a buy a coupe? what are you doing with the cobra once it has no motor etc?? seems like a legnthy process and a major headache in the long run? not tryin to get down on you just tryin to understand your reasoning.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:58 PM
italia18
3rd Gear Member

Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

why not just buy a hardtop shell? I'm sure they make them. Like the ones they make for the Honda S2000 (and people dont start flaming honda im only using it as an example )
Old 03-16-2007, 04:10 PM
midnightsnake83
2nd Gear Member

Everybody in the 4.6 threads say that I should get the hardtop shell, but wont I have to redo all the bracing and framework? anyway I talked to a friend of mine and he said to find a salvaged cobra coupe and fix that one up into a drag car, DD,or whatever I want. I respect his opinion more than anybodys on here (no offense, but I dont know anybody on here) so I took his opinion and I am now looking for a wrecked cobra, perferably no damage to the rear quater-panels and no frame damage. To be honest, the guys in the 4.6 threads are f*cking vicious, but most of them were right, its alot of headache; thats why I came here first. Ill keep the vert the way it is and fix up the coupe.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:29 PM
italia18
3rd Gear Member

the only thing is, fixing up a cobra requires a ton of money. and half the time you wont know the frame is bent til you drive it and examine the wear on the tires.

All cobra parts, from beezles, to doorhandles; header pannels, to pistons, are wickid overpriced compared to any other model mustang. So just be prepared to pay top dollar for everything.

Its not worth it IMO. You might as well just buy a coupe, and it would probably be cheaper.

Also I dont see why you'd need any framework or anything if you bought the shell. Plenty of cars have them. Youd figure of they needed all that work then they wouldnt be so marketed? I doubt the shell would be so heavy as to cause any major problems.

Just a thought.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:33 PM
the new nos/man
I ♥ Acer

when your top is up .. think of it has a hardtop. i never put my top down. it's rare when i do. '03 cobra vert'
Old 03-17-2007, 02:22 AM
Blownsvt
5th Gear Member

still trying to figure out if you want a coupe and not the vert why not sell the vert and buy a coupe?
Old 03-17-2007, 11:54 AM
midnightsnake83
2nd Gear Member

I just bought the vert last Dec. and I still owe 14K on it, I have a crease down the center of the driverside door where I hit a mailbox and the sideskirt came off. So thats another $5-600 that I dont have. Add that total on to the price of buying a new car, Yeah...NO!

I found a salvaged 2003 cobra coupe that I might be interested in getting and fixing up. So, I might have two snakes.
Old 03-17-2007, 03:25 PM
Blownsvt
5th Gear Member

i see, didn't realize yours was dammaged, i just figured you could sell yours for 15-16 then buy another for 15-16 and be in the same spot but with a coupe. i getcha now though with the damage.
Old 03-17-2007, 04:16 PM
italia18
3rd Gear Member

Like I said, by the time you restore a junked cobra, youll have bought a new one.

If you cant afford to fix the damage to you present cobra now, youll NEVER be able to afford to restore one. Trust me on that.

Quick Reply: Vert to Coupe swap