SVT Forums

99 Cobra needs help!!

Old 06-09-2007, 04:29 PM
mustangchick9550

Default 99 Cobra needs help!!

alright everyone... last night I was at the track. I came off the line hard but couldn't hook... it tire hopped like a SOB and well... it isn't riding right anymore. Its a metal on metal clanging sound and shakes while driving now. It shakes worse when you are in lower rpms once you get it up to a steady cruising speed you can still feel the shake in the pedals but not throughout the car. The more bumps I hit on the road on my way home the worse it began to sound (the clanging)... I figure it has to be in the drivetrain some place but am not sure where to begin. Any suggestions?

Also... I was going through things in my head and here's what I have come up with... let me know if I am on the right track or if i should start some place else...
since it shifts smooth I don't think its the tranmission...
It has an aluminium driveshaft so I thought maybe I twisted it or spun out the weight
maybe I broke the driveshaft space
something with the u-joint

i have a different bellhousing and flywheel so... I don't think its that....

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ASAP!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-09-2007, 07:56 PM
BTRStang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 99 Cobra needs help!!

Check the halfshafts and check the ring and pinion. Quick way to check r&p is to grab the driveshaft and shake to see if it has any play in, do them same with the halfshafts. I recommend to stop driving the car until you figure out what the problem is. Good luck
Old 06-09-2007, 08:02 PM
BTRStang
2nd Gear Member

Also I forgot, take a look at the u-joints the same method above will work those also.Good Luck
Old 06-11-2007, 08:51 PM
Lavitz
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BTRStang

Check the halfshafts and check the ring and pinion. Quick way to check r&p is to grab the driveshaft and shake to see if it has any play in, do them same with the halfshafts. I recommend to stop driving the car until you figure out what the problem is. Good luck
+1 on the halfshaft.

IRS on these new edge cobras aren't great for drag racing. If you were getting a ton of wheelhop and didn't let off real quickly I would almost guarentee you broke a halfshaft. If and when you do get this fixed I'd add on an IRS brace and bushings to help eliminate the wheelhop and prevent something like this fromhappening again.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:51 PM
michael12203
2nd Gear Member

had the exact smae problem, i cracked my carrier and my rear diff bushing was soo worn out that my subframe was hitting the crushsleeve giving it a lot of backlash and made a metal on metal sound when i hit the gas, put a auburn limited slip inin it and got the rear busing from mms, i am fine now.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:00 PM
no1izspeshl

Like someone else said here. Check your driveshaft. I can almost bet you that is what it is. Same thing happened to me last october. I ran it too hard at launch..seriusly thought i might have broken something or car hit a pothole at some point and bent my rim. Nope it was my driveshaft...it was loose.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:41 PM
mustangchick9550

I turned the driveshaft and there is a little play... maybe 1/4" or less... and you can hear it when you turn it back at the rear end... should that be tight and should it make a little bit of a metal noise? I don't know how to check the halfshaft... can someone please explain this to me?

Just to let eveyone know... I am a 24 female(if youcouldn't tell that from my name). So, sometimes I need a little more than check this or that... sometimes I need a little direction.

I didn't let off as quickly as I should have and yes I had a WHOLE LOT of tire hop.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:01 PM
no1izspeshl

Your drive shaft should have no play. It should only be able to turn slightly. I have to tighten mine down after about 3-4 track days. (i go a lot) and yeah as you know now. its better to looked bog down then stay in wheel hop. Does it vibrate when driving(liek the higher the mph and rpm?), feel like you bent a rim? You'd have to have to have this tightened by a torque gun. otherwise will still be semi loose.