SVT Forums

1997 Cobra Recommendations/Thoughts/etc. ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 06:55 PM
TheAntiRice
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 1997 Cobra Recommendations/Thoughts/etc. ???

97 Cobra, the pulling feel you get from 3250 RPM to Redline is due to "Placed above each secondary intake valve is a 34mm butterfly port throttle. Below 3,250 rpm, the port throttles are closed, thus blocking airflow to the secondary valves. With only one valve feeding each combustion chamber at low revs, airflow velocities are higher, and the mixture motion is faster, resulting in better cylinder filling and quicker, more complete burning of the fuel-air mixture. The curved lip around the inlet of the primary intake valve initiates and directs the mixture of the intake charge in the combustion chamber. This results in lower exhaust emissions and increased low-end torque." "From 3,250 to 7000 rpm, the engine computer commands two things to happen: cables actuated by an electronic motor flip the port throttles, allowing a nearly unrestricted flow of air through all 16 intake vales at mid and high rpm; and the injectors provide more fuel to the cylinders. The port throttle design helps provide ample torque down low, while taking full advantages of the engine's high-end capabilities from the four-valve head design." (http://www.mysticcobra.net/96info.shtml)

Check out www.mysticcobra.net (great Site!!!!!!!!) Click on the INFO link on the left side panel, it is very informative on 96-98 cobras, explaining the motor and other specifications on the car.

Sorry about the first explaination, I had my head up my A$$!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-13-2005, 07:08 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

No I've got 3.73's in now, and they suck I hate em, but I had to because I needed to be at a certain rpm coming through the traps in the 1/4 mile.

I can generalize though, you'll be at around 2600 rpm's in 5th gear at 70 mph. Basically you can do it this way, take your top speed, or any speed for that matter in each gear and take the percentage that the gears will change the rpm's.

For example you say first goes to 55 mph now, well:
3.27 / 4.30 = .76 ... sooooo 55 x .76 = 42 mph

you can do this for any gear and speed, both top speeds and cruizing speeds.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:45 AM
whitesnake69
1st Gear Member

damn your good at this stuff what would i be running in first with a 3:73? Well if what you guys are saying about the 4:10s is true i just might have to swap gears
Old 01-14-2005, 12:47 AM
whitesnake69
1st Gear Member

would it be about 48?
Old 01-14-2005, 01:04 AM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

I would assume so, assuming 55mph is what you do in 1st. Most folks arent concerned with that though, usually just cruizing speed in 5th and top speed in 4th
Old 01-15-2005, 03:13 PM
Ck9887
1st Gear Member

Why not 3.90's?

Thats probably what ill go with because I do a fair amount of freeway driving but im also city driving just as much...

But I have a GT... Not a cobra.
Old 01-29-2005, 02:35 AM
BLUE98

HEY MAN, GOOD CHOICE WITH THE COBRA. I THINK I CAN HELP YOU OUT. IVE GOT A 98, HAD IT FOR 3 YRS. MY MODS ARE H PIPE, FLOWS, 3.73 GEAR, PULLYS, MASS AIR, 65 MM THROTTLE BODY, MSD DIS-4, MSD PLUG WIRES, STEEDA TRI-AX SHIFTER, AND MCCLOUD RACING CLUTCH. I RECENTLY TOOK IT TO A DYNO, IT ONLY MADE 250 RWHP, HOWEVER, IT MADE 407 TORQUE. IF I WERE YOU, I WOULD GO WITH THE BBK OFF ROAD H-PIPE (MINE SOUNDS THE BEST IN TOWN, AND COSTS LESS THAN $200), 40 SERIES FLOWS, the short throw is a MUST, 4.10 GEAR, THE 373 IS OK, AND THE MSD SYSTEM. i WOULD SKIP THE THROTTLE BODY, PULLYS, AND THE MASS AIR. JUST PUT A SMALL SHOT OF ZEX ON IT, THE MOTOR WILL BE FINE. ONE BAD THING IS THE TRANSMISSION. I HAVE NEVER HAD SPRAY ( I WILL SOON ) BUT IVE HAD THE TRANNY REBULT 3 TIMES. IF YOU UPGRADE THE CLUTCH DO NOT GO WITH THE KING COBRA, ITS CRAP. THE ONE I HAD BUSTED INTO 4 PIECES.
Old 01-30-2005, 02:58 PM
97Cobra

ORIGINAL: BLUE98

HEY MAN, GOOD CHOICE WITH THE COBRA. I THINK I CAN HELP YOU OUT. IVE GOT A 98, HAD IT FOR 3 YRS. MY MODS ARE H PIPE, FLOWS, 3.73 GEAR, PULLYS, MASS AIR, 65 MM THROTTLE BODY, MSD DIS-4, MSD PLUG WIRES, STEEDA TRI-AX SHIFTER, AND MCCLOUD RACING CLUTCH. I RECENTLY TOOK IT TO A DYNO, IT ONLY MADE 250 RWHP, HOWEVER, IT MADE 407 TORQUE. IF I WERE YOU, I WOULD GO WITH THE BBK OFF ROAD H-PIPE (MINE SOUNDS THE BEST IN TOWN, AND COSTS LESS THAN $200), 40 SERIES FLOWS, the short throw is a MUST, 4.10 GEAR, THE 373 IS OK, AND THE MSD SYSTEM. i WOULD SKIP THE THROTTLE BODY, PULLYS, AND THE MASS AIR. JUST PUT A SMALL SHOT OF ZEX ON IT, THE MOTOR WILL BE FINE. ONE BAD THING IS THE TRANSMISSION. I HAVE NEVER HAD SPRAY ( I WILL SOON ) BUT IVE HAD THE TRANNY REBULT 3 TIMES. IF YOU UPGRADE THE CLUTCH DO NOT GO WITH THE KING COBRA, ITS CRAP. THE ONE I HAD BUSTED INTO 4 PIECES.
Hey, Thanks! Yeah, exhaust is on the list of mods (though I really like the token "mustang sound" and don't want to lose that).

I'm still deciding on the gears (mostly because it will take a while for me to get the cash for the mod). I may debate about upgrading the tranny when I do the gearing as well ... maybe.

Also, the short throw shifter is on my list. I'm thinking MGW, as people tend to rave about them.

and then .... who knows ...

~Erik
Old 02-03-2005, 09:38 AM
jefflesh
1st Gear Member

Sounds like you're on the right track. You should go to mustangexhaust.com for sound files of different exhaust combinations.

Sincerely,

Jeff
Old 02-09-2005, 12:52 AM
dawssvt
3rd Gear Member

I would go with exhaust first to make it sound mean. That was my favorite mod to my car. And I would get an H-pipe without cats, not a x-pipe, just my opinion. My mods are listed below... Also, go with the steeda, its a good shifter for our cars...

Quick Reply: 1997 Cobra Recommendations/Thoughts/etc. ???