SVT Forums

Installing a IRS

Old 06-25-2007, 03:15 AM
WhiningCobra

Default Installing a IRS

hey guys, i'm swapping out my trashed IRS in place of a new one. is there any link or can somebody tell me what needs to be done? i heard there is just 4 bolts holding it in place? i was thinking of going solid rear... but i rather have a smooth comfortable ride. thanks.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:43 AM
cencalmatt
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Installing a IRS

Well if you do go ahead with a new irs, be sure to upgrade it at the least and slap some irs braces in there. If you plan on modding your ride at all, I'd go with a sweet solid rear axle, they can handle more power with less or nowheel hop...
Old 06-25-2007, 02:50 PM
WhiningCobra

i like the feel of a smooth ride though. and i plan on road racing and drag racing my car. thanks for your input though.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:11 AM
Ellik
2nd Gear Member

you have to pull the exhaust pipes from the mufflers back, then disconnect your brake lines, ABS connectors, etc. After that, just support the IRS and its 4 bolts holding it up in there.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:05 AM
WhiningCobra

ORIGINAL: Ellik

you have to pull the exhaust pipes from the mufflers back, then disconnect your brake lines, ABS connectors, etc. After that, just support the IRS and its 4 bolts holding it up in there.
thanks man, so a new guy like me to the irs should have no problems taking it out and putting it back in? with the right tools?
Old 06-27-2007, 12:15 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

Hey if you are going to be waiting for a while im probably putting a solid rear in mine... personally, i dont think there's much difference.. I will have my IRS to sell in a few months...
Old 06-27-2007, 09:47 AM
WhiningCobra

ORIGINAL: xxkazp3rxx

Hey if you are going to be waiting for a while im probably putting a solid rear in mine... personally, i dont think there's much difference.. I will have my IRS to sell in a few months...
i really appreciate the offer man, but i'm going to pick up a modified IRS that's an hour from me. for $1300. good luck with the solid rear though! i just need something more than straightline performance. thanks again
Old 06-27-2007, 10:55 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

np.. thought it was worth a try, haha...

fyi, a rear built properly will offer more then straight line performance, and will be good in road racing... It is has the right setup, it could take curves fine... just go drive a built Roush/Steeda and see for yourself. Those cars are monsters on curves because the suspension.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:47 PM
Ellik
2nd Gear Member

I was talking to a bunch of guys at a shop while my car was getting inspection/emissions. I told them I was doing an IRS swap to a built unit I have in storage. They looked up at the rear end (it was on a hoist) and told me it was going to be a major M-F'er of a job, pulling the pumpkin, axles and everything out. They didnt realize the ENTIRE IRS came out as a whole assembly. Its really not going to be that big of a deal.

ORIGINAL: WhiningCobra

ORIGINAL: Ellik

thanks man, so a new guy like me to the irs should have no problems taking it out and putting it back in? with the right tools?
Old 06-27-2007, 08:09 PM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

took me only a couple hours just last week, installed some subframe bushings. Its pretty easy and the unit isnt all that heavy

1) Loosen lug nuts, lift the vehichle atleast 36 inches in the rear, lift the front too, just keep the car tilted forward (for the next step) and remove the tires
3) remove the driveshaft, 12 pt. socket...dont forget to mark the location in reference to the pinion flange. You keep the car tilted to prevent the transmission from leaking fluid out the tail shaft
4) Remove the ABS sensors, either side of the pumpkin, 10mm...you can pull the sensorsthrough the bottom of the floor beneith the rear seat.
5. Unbolt the brake lines. Take the calipers and rotors off too if you want...plug the system fairly quickly too, $100 for an ABS bleed sucks.
6. Unbolt the shocks, I removed the shocks completely but its easy to keep them dangling.
7. Unbolt the rear of the subframe, two bolts, not hard to remove, keep the irs supported on a jack stand.
8. Mark the location of your springs to the lower control arm so you dont screw ride height. Lower the rear end SLOWLY, your releasing the pressure on the springs. Once the Rear of the system is lowered enough to remove the springs, leave it there for a second.
9. Remove the front bolts, you'll need a fairly big socket to get inside the frame to reach the bolt head, but it comes out fairly easily. Make sure to have it supported by a floor jack as well.
10. Move it out of the way, me and a friend picked it up ourselves and carried it from underneith the car.
11. Install is the opposite of removal, remember to bolt the front up first, as it is not adjustable, the rear two bolts are adjustable.

Remember your location marks and remember EVERYTHING gets torqued to certain specifications. But SVT's write up is a whole lot better, it is what i used as my guide lines. Take your time, its not all that hard. BTW i installed Steeda's urethane bushings and low-profile bolts. Found out my car had the 12mm front bolts and not the 14mm...fixed 3 things with this little mod[&:] I'll be around later though

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installing a IRS