SVT Forums

What first Mods???

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 06:58 PM
BLK03GT
1st Gear Member

Default What first Mods???

Im picking up my 04 cobra on saturday and want to know what the best first mods are?????

I was thinkin exhaust (But idn what.....I had long tubes on my GT but from what Ive been reading people dont do LTs on termi's)
I was also thinking intake (Also dont know whats best...JLT???)

All info is appreciated.....

thanks guys
Old 07-26-2007, 08:08 PM
Rusmisel01GT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: What first Mods???

I personally would do a catback before anything to make it sound how I wanted... If you are gonna spend the money on a cat back might as well throw a couple hundred more in for a midpipe.

But If you do that then you might have to get a dyno tune... not sure, the termi guys can help you out more then i can.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:41 PM
TeddyKGB
1st Gear Member

No you don't need a tune for a catback. I don't have headers on mine and don't plan on doing them basically because I have heard many times that it doesn't do much for our cars, are expensive and a pain in the rear to put on.

Go catback and CAI...JLT is a good one. Then it really depends on how much you want to mod it. I would say get a pulley, like a 2.93, idlers, a tuner and a good dyno tune. After that I would look at a better heat exchanger, head cooling mod, and subframe connectors.

I have a UPR CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, 2.81 pulley and a few other little goodies and dyno'd at 472. A little money goes a longgggg way in our cars.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:37 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

My first questions are: How much do you want to spend?? What kinda power do you want?

To start I would do the midpipe/catback... then I would also get a tune, intake and pulley system. Most people either run a 2.76/2.81 or a 2.93 with a 4# lower... you really don't want to overspin your blower. Also may want to look at a short throw (TriAx, 5.0, or MGW), and a IRS Brace to keep your rear end down.Also once you pulley the car, you definatly want to get a heat exchanger (these cars make MASSIVE amounts of heat), and the head cooling mod.

The head cooling mod - they make 2 versions, one is on top and the other is on bottom. The even flow (the one i have) requires s/c removal, while the LDC requires you to drop the tranny and most people do that while they're changing the clutch.

If you are able to spend more money (around another 1000-1500)- I would suggest before you do the tune to get your blower ported my steigmeier, get a new MAF and BAP and put down 500+rwhp...
Old 07-27-2007, 02:09 PM
PWORLDSTANG
4th Gear Member

Two first mods I recommend are intake and exhaust (cat back and mid-pipe). 03-04 Cobra's respond very well to mods so you'll pick up a decent amount of power from them. The intake will louden up the blower a bit, and the stock exhaust is quiet as hell so you'll love thenew sounda new cat back and mid-pipe would bring.

Down the line, you'll want to look into getting a pulley and tune also. But those mods get a bit more complicated and aren't as basic as intake and exhaust mods. Since you're just about to buy the car and will be new to it, I suggest sticking with the intake and exhaust mods for now until you learn more about the car in general, and more about pulley set ups and tunes.
Old 08-04-2007, 04:21 AM
AZ SNAKE
2nd Gear Member

I'd go with Intake/ Exhaust then add pulleys. Then a short shifter because 3rd can be a bi#ch. Then get it tuned.