SVT Forums

Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 07:03 PM
chrispy98cobra
1st Gear Member

Default Help!

I just cleaned my IMRC's and now it idles high-around 1800-2000 before it slowly goes back to 900....it used to get stuck before, but when i would rev it it would go back down....now somehow i made it worse...any idea what i did wrong? Myabe i screwed up the IAC when i cleaned the upper intake? It used to do this before, but nowhere near as bad-only like 1600 rpms, and not all the time, but now its all the time
Old 07-29-2007, 05:56 AM
wes ley n the G T
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Help!

I just cleaned my buddy's 97 Cobra IMRC's today lol. Check for a vacuum leak, when we put everything back together I forgot to connect a vacuum hose at the back kinda left side of the intake manifold and the car idled high as hell. We then realized it was a vacuum leak and checked for hoses and we found that one off.

Also check the IAC as well, but if nothing got inside it and you put it on correctly then it wont be that. Make sure its plugged in too.

Also did you disconnect your battery while performin the procedure? You should do this so that it resets your cars idle strategy and fuel trims so your car's PCM has to relearn its idle strategy and long and short fuel trims. They are different because when you cleaned everything off, the car reads differently because its used to having say the valves gummed up and whatnot. Get it? lol hope this helps
Old 07-29-2007, 08:06 AM
chrispy98cobra
1st Gear Member

thanks for the info, i know what vaccum hose you are talking about and i almost forgot it to lol..........everything seems right, i may try to unhook the battery again and see, but i also have a new IAC on the way
Old 07-30-2007, 05:35 PM
chrispy98cobra
1st Gear Member

well i tried replacing the IAC and even the TPS...........i would think that if it was a vaccum leak it would either idle realy rough or if it did idle high it would do that all the time, but i can get the idle down to the normal 800 by revving it 2 or 3 times....i dont have the money to take it to someone so i guess i can either burn it or put a bullet through it[sm=headbang.gif]