SVT Forums

1998 Cobra Engine Ticking

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 06:23 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 1998 Cobra Engine Ticking

ORIGINAL: SVT98Eliazar

im going to go take it to my local Ford dealership, they charge 127 for a diagnosis test. Those bastard better tell me whats wrong with it and how much to fix it.
Don't waste your money. Please! I have the same noise and am NOT worried. Sure, it bothers me, but I can live with it. If you want it to go away, throw some cams in there! Rislone is basically like goo and sticks to everything, thus reducing the clapping sound that the lifters make. That's the same thing as the Lucas Oil stabilizer I told you to put it there. Even if it doesn't quiet it down, it still helps against wear damage!!! Don't waste your money on a bunch of guesses. The newer Cobra's have the Notorious Tick sound. Even ask Dan04Cobra yourself as I think he has the same problem

Old 11-01-2007, 06:44 PM
mfj
Banned

^ i couldnt disagree with u more 97targa! from what i have seen, most of ur advice on here has sounded very elementary, almost newb advice....
Old 11-02-2007, 10:52 AM
SVT98Eliazar

The 03-04's do have that damn tick, thats why the mechanic told me not to worry about it because its a simple tick that some cars develop and some dont. I think im going to get a 2001 now and maybe sell the 1998, or keep it...I haven't decided
Old 11-02-2007, 11:35 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mfj

^ i couldnt disagree with u more 97targa! from what i have seen, most of ur advice on here has sounded very elementary, almost newb advice....
I dunno what fantasy world your living in, but I have never had any trouble diagnosing any car troubles. Nor fixin them. I don't know what elementary advice you had in mind, but a lifter tick is as simple of a motor encounter you can come accross!
In your statement of being doomed for as long as you drive..???? That's newbie advice because there's nothing you can do about a lifter tick, other than replacing the cams/lifters.
Now I have heard of the tick or clicking sound as being a worn down valve in and around the #7&8 cylinders due to being over heated! That may be more of a concern than a lifter. If this is the case, oil traces would be in or on the spark plug orifice from blowby! I would double check your plugs.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:28 PM
SVT98Eliazar

how would I fix that worn valve due to overheating?
Old 11-03-2007, 07:15 PM
mfj
Banned

ORIGINAL: 97targa

I dunno what fantasy world your living in, but I have never had any trouble diagnosing any car troubles. Nor fixin them. I don't know what elementary advice you had in mind, but a lifter tick is as simple of a motor encounter you can come accross!
In your statement of being doomed for as long as you drive..???? That's newbie advice because there's nothing you can do about a lifter tick, other than replacing the cams/lifters.
Now I have heard of the tick or clicking sound as being a worn down valve in and around the #7&8 cylinders due to being over heated! That may be more of a concern than a lifter. If this is the case, oil traces would be in or on the spark plug orifice from blowby! I would double check your plugs.
97targe, go throw urself off a bridge, please!......... Im sure i have a hell of a lot more knoweldge to offer to these forums, than u.......
Old 11-04-2007, 05:58 PM
97targa
5th Gear Member

97targe, go throw urself off a bridge, please!......... Im sure i have a hell of a lot more knoweldge to offer to these forums, than u.......
Yeah let me go do that jack ***. Pretty tough to break a lifter on a roller rocker arm! Your engine wouldn't even run right. (by saying it's a lifter tick is generic for wornsurface on a cam lobe and doesn't mean it's a lifter like old school style...lol)An over rev doesn't always cause a tick! Overheating from an overrev can cause a tick. When your engine overheats, the coating on the lifters will wear off from friction crated by the heat. They can become grooved or just start flaking off. When they flake off then you have a serious problem! Your cams should be shiny with minimal grooving. You shouldn't be able to feel anything with your fingers, if so, they need to be replaced.
I think you have the same problem I have. Worn valve from overheating or lack of lubrication because the tolerances are so minimal up in there it can happen! I say this because I did have my covers off and the cams looked perfect! It wouldn't take one time of heat with an immediate shutoff to cause what I have! If it overheated and you continued to drive it then absolutely it would ruin more than just one thing! Could be lack of lubrication. How hard do you drive and how often do you change the oil? I change every 2kmi since I run pretty hard and i use Mobil 1 extreme. (I only drive 1500-2kmi each year, so changing more frequent than I need isn't going to hurt my pocket nmuch at all)
SVT98 to fix a worn valve you would need to replace the sleeve which entails pulling the head of to do that! I would reccomend doing them all at the same time and replacing the valve seals as well.