SVT Forums

Help: cobra or wha?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 08:52 PM
99toplessbra

Default Help: cobra or wha?

Figured this belongs here, in the SVT forum as well.

Hello, this is my first time posting on the site, but i have been checking it out recently.

Im currently looking into the purchase of a 99 cobra convertible (72,000 miles) with a procharger and intercooler. The seller is the second owner of the car, and does not know when these items were installed, as she only drove the car for 9000 miles. She told me it was in good condition (besides tires, brakes, and alignment). I had him take it to ford for a diagnostic, and they said it need tires, brakes, and a new boost tube? (250$) I spoke with the technician and he drove it and said it drives and sounds great no rattles blah blah. Gears are fine, tranny seemed alright, but he didnt take anything apart. She doesnt know of any other mods, and I havent seen the car in person, but it is possible. It is in very nice condition inside and out for an older car, I am just concerned with buying such a high milage car with the supercharger. Should I trust ford? what else can I do?

Here are the notable concerns:

1)Possible Remaining (engine/tranny/car) life

2)The back bumper says mustang not cobra (maybe an accident: bumper replacement?)

3) Also: the story is the foglamps arent there anymore because the intercooler was put in and they wouldnt work or fit or something (the holes where they were are there).

4) The technician told me the check engine light was on, but they didnt diagnose it today. He said it might be the messed up boost tube (creating less boost then possible) Or, the technician said it might just need to be dynoed and fine tuned somewhere?

I am not concerned with the tires and the brakes, I will deal with that.
I plan on buying the car within two weeks

Answers Much Appreciated!
Old 12-11-2007, 09:22 PM
slick88
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Help: cobra or wha?

the rear bumpers on 99 cobras doesnt say cobra its probaly stock bumper all deppends on how much boost your running i was told the bottom ends on 99 cobras are weak.ask him what codes its throwing.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:27 PM
99toplessbra

Glad to hear the bumper is stock thanks alot.

She has a boost guage installed,and says she visually read around 5psi when accelerating.
- again, the technician said the superchager is not giving as much
boost as possible because of a faulty 'boost tube'

What do u mean codes?
Old 12-11-2007, 11:28 PM
arcticman37
3rd Gear Member

codes+check engine light
Old 12-11-2007, 11:34 PM
slick88
1st Gear Member

if u throw a code it will set off the check engine light could be misfire or anything ask him what codes its throwing
Old 12-12-2007, 12:12 AM
99toplessbra

could you be more specific as to what type of different codes it could be showing.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:02 AM
Ellik
2nd Gear Member

It could be showing a code for ANYTHING. ****, the gas cap might not be on tight and could throw a code. Ask the technician to scan the computer and tell you what codes he gets.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:01 AM
NoRdO
2nd Gear Member

Don't buy the car untill you know what code it is throwing. Make sure you know what the code means.
Old 12-15-2007, 04:16 PM
Black*Death
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: slick88

the rear bumpers on 99 cobras doesnt say cobra its probaly stock bumper all deppends on how much boost your running i was told the bottom ends on 99 cobras are weak.ask him what codes its throwing.
I thought the bottom end was fairly strong? Forged Crankshaft right?
Old 12-15-2007, 04:47 PM
mike2004cobra

Concern (1) might be a deal-breaker for me. That mileage is a bit high. Considering the mods, this car was probably driven hard for who knows how many of those miles.

Quick Reply: Help: cobra or wha?